Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion

Options
  • 08-01-2021 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭

The switch for the immersion won't switch on.
    I mean physically I can't withoutbreaking it . I can't see any fuses gone on the main switch board.
    Is there a reset on the tank itself?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

Its probably the switch if it's jammed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Switch is burnt out, needs replacing.

You will find it's most likely charred at the rear or heat damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

is that a job you could do yourself ? or is it one for a sparky?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

cj maxx wrote: »
    is that a job you could do yourself ? or is it one for a sparky?

It's not a difficult job but you wouldn't be the first person who couldn't wire an immersion switch back up properly if you get it wrong.

If you are confident enough turn off the power at the mcb, undo the switch from the wall, take a picture and/or mark each wire, undo the wires on the old switch, connect up the new switch, check all connections to ensure they are tight and then fit switch the wall and turn the mcb back on then I would say have a go at it.

Might be a good idea to find out why the switch is damaged. It may be a loose connection which will be obvious when the switch is removed from the wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is caused by too a high resistance somewhere within the switch. This could be as a result of mechanical wear or a loose connection.

Heat generated = resistance x the square of the current

As others have said a replacement switch is required. I would suggest that you use a good quality one (such as MK) in an electrical wholesalers (not a DIY store such as Woodies) and ensure that all connections are tight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement