Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fusebox buzzing when night meter comes on

Options
  • 08-01-2021 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Moved into a new house around 6 weeks ago, night meter has always had a mildish hum compared to nothing at all during the day, but it's gotten really loud over the last 2 weeks, probably twice as loud as it used to be. Don't notice it so much really until you go to bed as our bedroom is right beside the hall where the fusebox is. The day meter is entirely quiet, so I figure if the day meter is quiet, why would the night meter need to be so loud. Link is here as a Youtube clip.

https://youtu.be/6BFIrMbNBpQ

My question: what is this issue and how easy is this to fix? I am trying to give my landlord some grounds to get an electrician in as I doubt anything making that noise can be normal or good. Plus, as we can now hear it in bed since it got much louder than before, it would go good to know what is the best thing to do.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It is probably a contractor for storage heating. It’s not uncommon and not necessarily an indication of a serious defect.

However if the noise is disruptive certainly raise it with your landlord. Replacing the contractor with one of a quality brand would be likely to alleviate the issue. Hagar sell some which are specifically designed to be ‘hum free’

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    It is probably a contractor for storage heating. It’s not uncommon and not necessarily an indication of a serious defect.

However if the noise is disruptive certainly raise it with your landlord. Replacing the contractor with one of a quality brand would be likely to alleviate the issue. Hagar sell some which are specifically designed to be ‘hum free’

Thanks for giving me some new terminology! I can definitely live with the noise if I had to, it's just that it's gotten louder for sure since I moved in, to the point I actually noticed it again recently, if it was a relatively cheap fix I'd even pay for it myself, the landlord is pretty sound just slow getting round to things, so I might be able to get her to do something if that is indeed the issue.

Thanks again for the reply!

Advertisement