Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working abroad during winter months

Options
  • 07-01-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Wondering if there are others working as a remote employee for an Irish company who spend the winter in a warmer country and return again each year?

I'm currently working remotely for an Irish tech company and exploring the idea of potentially moving abroad for the winter months.
    I haven't asked my company yet but would like to figure out would there be any issues they would have from their side or taxation etc.?
    All of this post covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

slimergan wrote: »
    Wondering if there are others working as a remote employee for an Irish company who spend the winter in a warmer country and return again each year?

I'm currently working remotely for an Irish tech company and exploring the idea of potentially moving abroad for the winter months.
    I haven't asked my company yet but would like to figure out would there be any issues they would have from their side or taxation etc.?
    All of this post covid

Gonna follow this as I would seriously consider an apartment in the canaries for the darker months

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

does it say anything in your contract about it? Or have the company made any announcements since covid 19 started.

once you spend 183 days each year in ireland you will be an irish resident so there shouldnt be any tax issues if your going for 3/4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Most of the big MNCs will have it in your contract that you need to be in the same country as your payroll.

Most of the big MNCs will have it in your contract that you need to be in the same country as your payroll.

I'm in one and it's fine to be abroad once you're tax resident here

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimergan

capefear wrote: »
    does it say anything in your contract about it? Or have the company made any announcements since covid 19 started.

once you spend 183 days each year in ireland you will be an irish resident so there shouldnt be any tax issues if your going for 3/4 months.
    When I joined I got it stated in my contract that I would be permanently allowed remote working post covid. It doesnt explicitly say from a particular country. The only exception is if i need to travel to client site for a project but thats very rare.

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I'm in one and it's fine to be abroad once you're tax resident here
    So do you spend a couple of months each year abroad? Where do you go?
    Did you have the conversation with your company about it or do you just take off each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Tax issues are the big problem, also can be health and safety issues and even GDPR depending on where you’re planning to go. Only way to know is to ask OP.

slimergan wrote: »
    So do you spend a couple of months each year abroad? Where do you go?
    Did you have the conversation with your company about it or do you just take off each time?

I'm in an MNC and had the conversation with them once because I needed to work abroad for a week. They were totally ok with it.

Yeah I would probably be thinking the Canaries or somewhere in the E.U. to keep things simpler.

Advertisement