Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Oil

Options
  • 07-01-2021 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

So I made the stupid mistake of running out of oil. My wife hasn't stopped laughing all evening. Thankfully we have a stove to keep the house warm
    The oil company coming in morning but just wondering do I need to do anything before I turn back on boiler? it was running before I noticed the oil was gone so it was empty and I would guess line is full of air.

Any advice? Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It needs to be bled, unless it has a self bleeding system. Otherwise, maybe a €20 note to encourage the driver to do it. I'm sure they're run off their feet, so that might help.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

It's simple to bleed it just Google your boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Enjoy cuddling up to wife for body heat.Hopefully the gunk has not gone into boiler and wondering as the tank is empty does it need a drain off?
    Hopefully others can offer advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

So I made the stupid mistake of running out of oil. My wife hasn't stopped laughing all evening. Thankfully we have a stove to keep the house warm
    The oil company coming in morning but just wondering do I need to do anything before I turn back on boiler? it was running before I noticed the oil was gone so it was empty and I would guess line is full of air.

Any advice? Thank you.

If you know the name of your boiler, check it out on You Tube. Its reasonably simple to bleed it but a 20 spot to the driver should be enough to get you sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I have bled it before when it got air locked. My concern is sh*t after going down the line. Anyway to combat that now? or am I kinda f**ked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

As you have bled it before was that at boiler,if so longer bleed and unsure is there a filter there also?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Clean the filter. Wait an hour after delivery before bleeding and check the filter again.
    Hopefully you haven't lifted rear of tank.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Ok so plan, I have shut off the oil. At one point is connection so I have opened that and let the bit of oil in the pipe run out. Going to wait for oil to arrive then turn it on and let whatever comes out first into a container, then hook up again and hopefully that will help. This is before the filter at the boiler. Going to take out filter now and check it, then hope the boiler itself didn't pull in too much sh*t before I shut it down

Fingers crossed

Everything back up and running.....Mrs Crazyfather happy!! not that she would say it

Advertisement