Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer sent me to a site with a covid outbreak

Options
  • 07-01-2021 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Really just looking for some advice on this. I'm currently working in static security work, so basically I'd move between several sites on a weekly basis.

This morning (approx 5am) I got a phone call from my employer asking me to go a site, as the usual guy had rang in sick and they needed cover. Of course I agreed to cover the site, as sure we all get sick sometimes.

Got to the site (a warehouse) to find out that there was no heating and so on, so I'd be standing in the cold all day. Whatever, that's grand and a downside of the job.

A few hours after my shift started I got a call from the lad who called in sick, who straight up told me that he hadn't called in sick, rather he'd rang the office the day before as it turned out there was about 20+ people in the place who tested positive for Covid, and he didn't want to risk getting it.

I rang my employer a few hours later who basically denied having any knowledge of it, but they'd "look into it."

Does anyone know if I have any recourse here? While I wear a mask I still have certain responsibilities in there that do require me to come in frequent close contact with the warehouse lads. I've successfully managed to not get covid since the outbreak and I'll be bloody furious if I get it now because they sent me to a site knowing there was an outbreak there.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Endintheclowns

All employer's have a duty of care to their staff. If they indeed did send you knowingly into a Covid hotspot I'd be going down the legal route if I caught the virus. Otherwise if they knew and you don't catch the virus is be looking for another job as it's an absolutely crappy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How much time has passed since they affirmed that they would ‘look into it’ ?

Because in my mind. Your manager, lifting the phone to the client manager or client and asking... “ can you confirm the current situation with covid at X location with your staff since X time ? “. “We have no reported cases or symptoms or yes we have had two people test positive but are in self isolation, we can investigate if your guy was a contact of either.”....

Advertisement