Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Question?

Options
  • 07-01-2021 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

If you are told you're contract is not going to be renewed ( while still on probation) & are given a notice period to work, e.g. one week. Is it mandatory that you work the week's notice or can you leave before completing the week's notice? (Public sector)

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Theres nothing technically stopping you from simply leaving / quitting.
    If they're not keeping you on, and you've been told this by a person in appropriate authority - and you're still in the probation period - you may not even feature the job on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I am me123 wrote: »
    If you are told you're contract is not going to be renewed ( while still on probation) & are given a notice period to work, e.g. one week. Is it mandatory that you work the week's notice or can you leave before completing the week's notice? (Public sector)

Thank you

Probation is irrelevant. Most people in temporary public service jobs do not have their contracts extended.

If they wanted you off site immediately, they would have done that.

Serve your agreed notice and use the time to jobhunt. At very least you'll have one extra weeks pay than if you just walked out.

I am me123 wrote: »

Thank you

If you want to reapply for a public sector role in the future, its best to leave on good terms.

I'd work the week's notice.

Advertisement