Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work pay while close contact

Options
  • 07-01-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all, I am currently out of work as I am a close contact of someone that has covid. Job is saying I need doctors note, doctor is saying the hse message should be enough for them. Anyone have this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Borgo wrote: »
    Hi all, I am currently out of work as I am a close contact of someone that has covid. Job is saying I need doctors note, doctor is saying the hse message should be enough for them. Anyone have this issue?

What does your contract say? Typically you need a Doctors cert for absence due to illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Dav010 wrote: »
    What does your contract say? Typically you need a Doctors cert for absence due to illness.

Yeah true in normal circumstances but my GP is saying the hse have told me to self isolate not her but my job are saying I won't get paid if I don't have a note? Doctor said she hasn't told me to self isolate the hse did that the hse message I received should be enough for my job?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why do you expect to get paid?

You need to Covid-19 enhanced illness benefit.

Search for it on mywelfare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

I didn't say I was expecting to get paid. Was just asking did people experience this situation between job and doctor if they were a close contact about pay. Other people in my job are getting notes to get paid but my doctor is saying its nothing to do with them. I'm never out sick so was just wondering if anyone has been through the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Both are technically correct, the dr and your job however you'd expect a bit of understanding from your workplace. I can only tell you anecdotal evidence from friends but they've just shown the hse communication, some of them got the pay, some didn't, depends on the workplace.

I wonder, just out of pure curiosity if you told your employers, ok, I'll come into work then and not self-isolate, if they'd change their minds?

• Advertisement

Borgo wrote: »
    Yeah true in normal circumstances but my GP is saying the hse have told me to self isolate not her but my job are saying I won't get paid if I don't have a note? Doctor said she hasn't told me to self isolate the hse did that the hse message I received should be enough for my job?

Your Dr can’t dictate what your employer’s policy in relation to leave is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where was the close contact? In work or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Why not? Some workplaces will still "top up" the enhanced illness benefit to the employee's normal salary, per their sick pay policy. I'd imagine you would need some sort of certification to stop people taking the piss.

Why not? Some workplaces will still "top up" the enhanced illness benefit to the employee's normal salary, per their sick pay policy. I'd imagine you would need some sort of certification to stop people taking the piss.

That would seem to be the case, so the op’s course of action should be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The GP will know the Illness Benefit process, and their role in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement