Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinarily resident or domiciled?

Options
  • 06-01-2021 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi guys,

I was about to fill in my tax return form when this question came up: "Are you ordinarily resident or domiciled in Ireland?"

Now, I am a Polish national who moved to Ireland in 2007 and have lived here ever since. I never worked in Poland as I was still in school, so I only ever paid taxes etc in Ireland (and continue to pay them). I have no intention of going back to Poland in the future but at the same time who knows what will happen to me in the future, you know? Do I select one, or both?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

lizzie92 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was about to fill in my tax return form when this question came up: "Are you ordinarily resident or domiciled in Ireland?"

Now, I am a Polish national who moved to Ireland in 2007 and have lived here ever since. I never worked in Poland as I was still in school, so I only ever paid taxes etc in Ireland (and continue to pay them). I have no intention of going back to Poland in the future but at the same time who knows what will happen to me in the future, you know? Do I select one, or both?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)

You are ordinarily resident and non domiciled.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-residence/what-is-domicile-and-the-domicile-levy.aspx

You'll note that there are information buttons in blue all over the form explaining things if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzie92

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-residence/what-is-domicile-and-the-domicile-levy.aspx

You'll note that there are information buttons in blue all over the form explaining things if you need them.

Hi, I did notice the links to explanations of each term - I just wasn't sure if they applied to my situation. Let's say I applied for Irish citizenship, would that make me domiciled in Ireland? Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

That’s not necessarily true and may warrant further inspection if beneficial to the taxpayer particularly if there’s foreign assets. You can acquire a domicile of choice when you become an adult (over 18). Irish arguably is a domicile of choice option given the OPs fact pattern. We are born with the domicile of our father until the age of 18 after which we can change it. Sometimes it’s tax beneficial but an overall look at your current standing and future intentions in line with your economic and commercial position worldwide should be looked at first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

The way I normally answer that is to ask "What country do you intend to die in?"

This almost always correlates with the domicile determined by all other factors.

Advertisement