Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D printers in woodworking and the wider workshop

Options
  • 05-01-2021 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

In terms of bits and pieces, don't discount the availability of 3D printers and existing software solutions for a multitude of designs available for free, search for Chillyspoon here for some links

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

In terms of bits and pieces, don't discount the availability of 3D printers and existing software solutions for a multitude of designs available for free, search for Chillyspoon here for some links

Absolutey, i have one and have already made lot's of bits'n pieces including an idler wheel for an old belt sander I have

Recently also made this, which turned out great
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2056511
    boomdocker wrote: »
    Absolutey, i have one and have already made lot's of bits'n pieces including an idler wheel for an old belt sander I have

Recently also made this, which turned out great

Great, what 3D rig do you have, just so as we can learn what works/does work.

Mods, it might be worth considering setting up a 3D printer thread for woodcraft, just what guys have, the material used and where they got the plans etc , no big discussion, just info and insights :)
    Great, what 3D rig do you have, just so as we can learn what works/does work.

Mods, it might be worth considering setting up a 3D printer thread for woodcraft, just what guys have, the material used and where they got the plans etc , no big discussion, just info and insights :)

I have a Creality CR-10 Mini
    Fantastic printer

This is the second one I've had - first one was a ball-ache but this one is fantastic, 15mins assembly out of the box and never missed a beat in 2 years or so
    I use mostly PLA, but also some PTEG
    Really handy for making bits and pieces and my son uses it for school (technology and engineering, making prototypes)
    As I said, I have made a few carpentry relating things
    Thingiverse is probably the best place to find other people's designs
    If you can use Solidworks or Sketchup the world is your oyster

Great, many thanks again.
    will they work with Apple gear or just normal pc running windows?

I agree that 3d printers have a lot to offer for the woodworker, and other trades.

They are cheap enough, and if you can draw in any 3d programme,
    then thats the first hurdle.

Myself and my son use Fusion 360 for drawing the finished article, and its simple enough
    to export the file into the printer, and you are off.

I am currently finishing a prostethic that fits onto my bicep, and other end is anchored at my hip,
    and it lifts my damaged arm to head height. Existing rotor cuff injury means I can only raise it
    horizontal.

My son has both plastic and resin bath printers, and is currently waiting for a larger printer.

I am all for a 3d printer thread, go for it.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The purpose of this thread is to try assemble a resource of what folk are doing in their workshops/ kitchens/ bedrooms etc with 3D printers.:D
    What works, doesn't, IT requirements, etc.
    My Ltd understanding is that the steps are:
    1. Dream up the idea/requirement
    2. prep a design in some 3d drawing package
    3. [Or lift it from some free sites if already done]
    4. upload it to the printer via the computer
    5. press start and drink some beers.

There are choices to be made for
    1. Operating system software
    2. 3D design software
    3. printer types/ printer bed size/height/budget
    4. sourcing printers
    5. raw material choice and sourcing
    and so on.

kadman might move the few posts in the recent planer thread to here and I will try find a few by chillyspoon.:)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Here's one of my previous ones,

3D printed some more woodwork things: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058118606

It includes: Feather boards (utterly brilliant) and drillpress dust extraction (ok but not brilliant).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I've also printed a few things for the workshop
    I'm using a Creality CR10 Mini - highly recommended
    Mostly printing in PLA, although for things requiring a little flex PETG is good

Made up a new idler wheel for my belt sander , apart from that I lifted this design for a nifty push block for the table saw (which itself is a shameless copy of the GRR Ripper) - works great

If you are not into designing your own stuff, thingiverse.com is a great resource

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

My recent project with a 3d printer is to make a prosthetic when I need to hold my arm above my head
    when I am working on a car on my scissor lift.

The only limitations with a 3d printer is your imagination:)

I have to redesign the cuff again to make it wider for better support.

But the design and concept work well for me.

538600.JPG

538599.JPG

538601.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

kadman wrote: »
    My recent project with a 3d printer is to make a prosthetic when I need to hold my arm above my head
    when I am working on a car on my scissor lift.

The only limitations with a 3d printer is your imagination:)

I have to redesign the cuff again to make it wider for better support.

But the design and concept work well for me.

That is bloody brilliant!

It works well for me. I had a bad rotorcuff injury that could not be repaired.
    This left me with my right arm that can only raise to horizontal.

With this thing on, I can salute like Hermann Goerring :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

So you belt up at your waist and the gas strut supports you arm !?

So you belt up at your waist and the gas strut supports you arm !?

Thats the basic idea. But I made the second belt clip to also allow an over
    the shoulder strap from the good shoulder.
    I set the gas strut as hard as I can press it down, before I finally set it to suit me. But I found the force pushed down on the belt to much.

So an additional strap over the good shoulder prevents this. Once I have the new cuff printed I will show it in operation:)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Thats the basic idea. But I made the second belt clip to also allow an over
    the shoulder strap from the good shoulder.
    I set the gas strut as hard as I can press it down, before I finally set it to suit me. But I found the force pushed down on the belt to much.

So an additional strap over the good shoulder prevents this. Once I have the new cuff printed I will show it in operation:)

I don't chat often on boards, but have always read your posts as well considered/researched/experienced factual truths; my confidence in your posts has just grown. An obvious unbiased advisor to those less experienced. Thank you.

• Advertisement

I don't chat often on boards, but have always read your posts as well considered/researched/experienced factual truths; my confidence in your posts has just grown. An obvious unbiased advisor to those less experienced. Thank you.

Thankyou.
    I am the sort of chap who likes to think outside of the box, and relay any experiences or results I have had,good or otherwise to those interested, as truthfully as possible.

Information is to be shared, and whenever I see a chance to do that I will.

With the prosthetic, I knew what I needed to lift my arm a bit higher, so I put the thinking cap on. The mechanics of the item were obvious to me. My supraspinatus muscle was damaged beyond repair, so I thought of a way to replace that mechanically. The 3d printer was the thing that brought all the elements together.

I think all diy'ers should get one and learn to use it. Its brilliant,

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Kadman, slightly related but this came up on my YouTube "You might like to look at this" section Ian Davis 3D printing for a prosthetic Aluminium Hand He used 3d printing for some parts

Kadman, slightly related but this came up on my YouTube "You might like to look at this" section Ian Davis 3D printing for a prosthetic Aluminium Hand He used 3d printing for some parts

Thanks for the link. Thats one amazing man, and an amazing video.

Something definitely special about that guy.:)

Advertisement