Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor Heating - water Vs electric

Options
  • 06-01-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,

I'm in the process of starting to build a new house. Meeting architect next week on site to go over the initial house design for planning permission to be put up in the next 4 weeks hopefully.

Planning on putting commercial laminate tiles (chevron timber look) through most of the house with normal tiles in the bathrooms and we think house will be about 230sq meters single level.

House will be A rated at least but not a passive house. And will also have a heat recovery / ventilation system, PV panels etc.

We are going to put in underfloor heating and I have been reading about electric underfloor heating. I can see the benefits of it with simpler installation and more fine grained control if needed but I also have some concerns.

Does anyone have experience with electric underfloor heating over the long term and could you offer your experience?

My main concern is actually what happens if in 10/15 years time the electric circuit fails and I end up digging out the floor to fix it. Am I right in presuming that the "traditional" pipes + warm water type of underfloor heating has a better long life potential?

Perhaps this is still unknown if its a relatively new technology for residential houses..

Thank you
    Seamus

Advertisement