Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had success with Nioxin for hair thickening?

Options
  • 06-01-2021 6:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I couldn't justify paying 40 for three mincey 150 ml bottles, so bought a liter of cleanser and and a liter of conditioner for the same price.

Still use coconut oil for treatment.

Just using it 3x a week for the last couple weeks, remains to be seen what will happen.

I don't have hair loss, just not the thickness required for the style I'm going for, so was advised that Nioxin can thicken the follicle product, basically.

Anyone had success with it for hair thickening or treating thinning hair?

There's a bunch of treatments available but this was the most recommended one everywhere I asked.
    Post edited by Ciarrai76 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Has your hair always been the same thickness or has it thinned out over months/years?

If your natural thickness hasnt changed its unlikely any hair product will make much of a noticeable difference. You can use products to make the strands appear thicker but you cant really grow thicker or more hair but if you eat really healthy food you'll notice your hair will be healthier, stronger and will look thicker as a result.
    Hair needs zinc, iron, selenium, Biotin, Omegas, good fats and protein, id suggest eating lots of eggs, nuts & seeds especially almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts & pumpkin seeds. High percentage Omega 3 supplements, virgin olive oil, oily fish like salmon and fruits & veg with high amounts of good fats like avocados.

Castor oil also works much better at encouraging hair growth than coconut oil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Tried castor oil.

I actually use coconut oil to take the frizz out after washing, as kind of a styling product.

I thought castor oil could be similar.

It's basically the consistency of engine oil.

I had to hold the bottle under the hot tap to loosen it up, and applying it felt a little like getting bubble gum stuck in muh hair.

I have no idea how it gets on to the scalp.

Just combed it through then kind of did a scalp massage.

It's obviously not something that can be left in like coconut oil.

Any advice on it's consistent application, I'm open to suggestion; I'd like to see what kind of benefits it can potentially offer.

I also read great things about micro needling.

I was using a 0.3 mm needle around the scalp line but r/tressless recommended a 1.5 mm roller so that's on the way.

Probably gonna be painful but results are apparently well scientifically documented.

Vid of apparent success with derma rolling + oil combo:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Not sure if you are looking to treat thinning hair but if you are, minoxidil is the key product for female hair loss. It is also used for male pattern hair loss but the also a prescription medication for men too. Regaine is a branded minoxidil product and again for females the 2.5% strength is recommend as the standard 5% can cause scalp irritation.

Hopefully I haven't knocked the discussion off track but wanted to let you know about this in case its of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

My partner had issues with her hair thinning a few years back. She bought nioxin from Amazon. The conditioner and shampoo and I noticed a massive improvement over the course of 6 months. She monitored with photos as well. It definitely worked but it is pricey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Please don't post on a zombie thread. Closing. MOD

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement