Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nikon lens d3000

Options
  • 06-01-2021 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a new lens for the camera. I have the standard lens that comes with it. I am after something with a better zoom lens.

What would ye recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'better' is vague. you need a longer reach? or better quality/better max aperture/just a wider zoom range?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

'better' is vague. you need a longer reach? or better quality/better max aperture/just a wider zoom range?

something to take photos of local sport and nature. Ya longer reach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

cena wrote: »
    something to take photos of local sport and nature. Ya longer reach

The D3000 is a crop sensor camera. The kit lens was usually a Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR lens.

Two problems with this for sports - too short a focal length and too slow a lens (ideally you want an f2.8 or faster lens for Sport). The trouble is, longer reach and faster lenses cost more (lots more). So your budget is a major factor.

Another issue to address is whether you intend to continue to use a crop sensor camera (DX, as is the D3000) or if you ever intend to go full frame.

The reason I ask is that I consider a good lense a longer term investment than a camera. The first non kit lense I bought was a Sigma 70-300 crop sensor lense. It was cheap and gave me a much longer reach. But I was very disappointed.

The quality was poor (soft images) although reasonable for the price. Also the lens was slow so pretty useless for sports (to get a fast enough shutter speed I had to boost the ISO higher than I was happy with. Also, I very soon realised that I eventually wanted to go full frame so the lens was useless.

So, what's your budget and do you intend to go full frame? Are you willing to invest in a lens and then subsequently sell it (at a loss) if you upgrade to full frame.

Bear in mind the D3000, whilst a good camera, is 11 years old and a replacment for a much newer model with more pixels and more importantly, higher ISO performance, could be a better (and cheaper option).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ive a similar problem as the OP....

Recently got a Canon Eos2000d with an 18-55mm lens for PRO work for sporting club

Its just not good enough to zoom into the action.... 🙄 i think 55-100 (ish) is whats required....

Anyone know where its possible to get good 2nd hand ones .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Karppi

MPB has always provided me with terrific service, both buying from them and selling/trading in. I’ve bought two lenses, one camera , and sold my previous camera (Olympus OM5 ii) and the kit lens that came with my Nikon Z6 ii, when I upgraded. Highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

When I was starting of at this point, with a crop lease Canon, I bought the full frame faster lenses which now work with my full frame so no loss of investment.

As noted earlier, higher performance lenses are not cheap

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks for the tip.

I bought one on ebay. Nikon 55-200mm efs

Getting it delivered from the uk for €90 .... Its used , obviously.

Hopefully its ok.... 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 24 retoos

There are many factors to consider when choosing a lens, such as focal length, aperture, image quality, compatibility and price. According to the pop photo & digital camera world, the best camera lens brands today are Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm and Olympus. What kind of photography do you want to do with your new lens? https://www.popphoto.com/reviews/best-camera-lens/ https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/what-are-the-best-camera-lenses-to-buy

Its mainly sports pics.

I used it and it is very good. Good zoom, and i decided to go with Man focus.

Its not good to be wearing glasses while taking pics, as they may look in focus while taking it (due to the glasses) and then finding out its blurry when you check it.

i realised that after a while, and ended up with my glasses on my nose 😋😆

Advertisement