Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External candidate 2021

Options
  • 06-01-2021 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

What happened to the external candidates in 2020 when exams results were predicted? Were they just cancelled?

I'm resitting Higher level maths this year, putting in alot of work, so I'm a bit nervous about the same thing happening this year.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kauto Star

They went ahead later in the year, November I think.

Who knows what way this year will go though

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinemathsgr

Are you studying for the exam yourself or through a grinds school or teacher?

If its with a teacher or grinds school, they will be asked to predict a grade for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lass1992

Are you studying for the exam yourself or through a grinds school or teacher?

If its with a teacher or grinds school, they will be asked to predict a grade for you.

Myself

Same here, so if goes to predicted grades I am snookered. Really hoping traditional exams go ahead.

FYI, the applications for external candidates opened last Monday and closes tomorrow according to the website so make sure you are registered

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Kauto Star wrote: »
    Same here, so if goes to predicted grades I am snookered. Really hoping traditional exams go ahead.

FYI, the applications for external candidates opened last Monday and closes tomorrow according to the website so make sure you are registered

Hey also an external candidate here too. You need to find a school that will let you sit the exam in their facilities first before you register; you won't be able to register without selecting the school.

I'm pretty sure the exams are going ahead, I just hope we can get results in August before courses start in September. Not getting to sit the LC exam is literally the only thing stopping me from enrolling in medicine-I had to do the GAMSAT which was a very expensive 6 hour exam, I had to write a personal statement, do work experience, write essays on my suitability for the course, get references from college lecturers-actually get good grades in college-do multiple interviews and probably even a few other tid bits I am forgetting, the LC Chemistry exam is the last hurdle in this whole process. The HPAT is going ahead, the ACCA exams are going ahead, the college exams went ahead, the FE1 exams are going ahead, the GAMSAT went ahead, the SATs went ahead, why should the LC be any different to other formalized exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭angelic123

Lass1992 wrote: »
    What happened to the external candidates in 2020 when exams results were predicted? Were they just cancelled?

I'm resitting Higher level maths this year, putting in alot of work, so I'm a bit nervous about the same thing happening this year.

Thanks.

I’d suggest you get yourself a teacher Asap! And a qualified/ registered one. I’m also an external candidate and working with a qualified teacher in the event of predictive grades he’ll be in a position to give me one.

angelic123 wrote: »
    I’d suggest you get yourself a teacher Asap! And a qualified/ registered one. I’m also an external candidate and working with a qualified teacher in the event of predictive grades he’ll be in a position to give me one.

But how many lessons will you have had to have done with this teacher to qualify for a predictive grade? If it comes to it.

Its all a fine mess currently!

i dont know tbh but t would be no harm reaching out and talking to some teachers in your chosen subject, i am sure they could guide you.

it seems judging by the media, that there may be a choice so you may be able to sit the exam afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭YungJoshy

Sorry for jumping on this thread. Didn't want to make another one since my question is related.

I'm an external candidate studying higher level Irish. I would gladly choose the calculated grades over the exam but I am not sure I am eligible to do so. I'm studying through the DAE but I'm yet to hear from them about it. I've got no clarity as to whether I, as an external candidate, have the option to choose calculated grades.

Any ideas folks?

YungJoshy wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping on this thread. Didn't want to make another one since my question is related.

I'm an external candidate studying higher level Irish. I would gladly choose the calculated grades over the exam but I am not sure I am eligible to do so. I'm studying through the DAE but I'm yet to hear from them about it. I've got no clarity as to whether I, as an external candidate, have the option to choose calculated grades.

Any ideas folks?

I’m not fully up to speed and there’s a lot of information flying around but my current understanding is that if you sit the LC you also get a predictive grade and you receive the higher of the 2..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are not under the supervision of a teacher (doing assignments, end of term exams etc.) there will be nothing to base calculated grades on, so you will have to sit the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinemathsgr

This happened to me last year for a student I was giving grinds to...

You have to be registered with a school to sit the Lcert as an external candidate, your old school might be the best place to start.

As said before you need to have a registered qualified teacher with the Teaching Council. That teacher and the Principal of the school you are registered to sit the exam in will look after all the paper work for you.

I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

This happened to me last year for a student I was giving grinds to...

You have to be registered with a school to sit the Lcert as an external candidate, your old school might be the best place to start.

As said before you need to have a registered qualified teacher with the Teaching Council. That teacher and the Principal of the school you are registered to sit the exam in will look after all the paper work for you.

I hope this helps

The criteria on how this is going to be examined this year has not been published yet.

"7.5 Repeat Students
    If a student is repeating in the school, having previously been enrolled in that school for
    their first sitting of the Leaving Certificate, evidence of achievement from both cycles
    should be considered, but particular weight should be given to the student’s work and
    level of achievement during the repeat year. If the student was a Leaving Certificate
    student in 2020, teachers should exercise great care in using evidence of learning from
    the period of school closure in 2020. If the student has a different teacher during the
    A Guide to State Examinations and SEC Accredited Grades for Leaving Certificate 2021Running header
    ——
    repeat year from the one he/she previously had, arrangements should be made to
    ensure that the most recent teacher (who will be making the estimate) is in a position to
    consult with the previous one and has access to any necessary documentation.
    If the student was previously enrolled in a different school, the same procedures as
    described above in respect of students new to the school apply.
    7.6 Students studying individual subjects out of school and students
    studying entirely out of school
    The SEC Accredited Grades process will seek to make accredited grades available to as
    many students as possible, including students who are studying one or more subjects
    outside of school and those studying entirely out of school. For these candidates, robust
    evidence will have to be available on which an estimated mark may be based. In some
    cases, it may not be possible to provide estimated marks and/or SEC Accredited Grades
    to candidates, but every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate as many
    students as possible.
    Further details of the processes to enable these candidates to seek an Accredited Grade
    will be provided as soon as possible. "

This judgement would indicate that they will have to make some provision for calculated grades for external candidates this year. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/education-minister-loses-appeal-over-findings-two-home-schooled-students-were-unfairly-excluded-from-leaving-cert-calculated-grades-40177418.html

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭YungJoshy

Any external candidates out there just opting for the calculated grade route?

Guide to Accredited Grades for Leaving Certificate 2021 for Out-of-School Subjects, and Out-of-School Learners
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/d3ea2-leaving-certificate-2021/

Out on the dept website now

YungJoshy wrote: »
    Any external candidates out there just opting for the calculated grade route?

I have been advised by both teachers (I’m going two subjects) to sit the exam as there is no guarantee re calc grade as system has been improved this year and you have to provide proof of continuous assessment course work, classes etc. Then the school you’re registers in have to approve the calculated grades based on the proof provided. Unless you’re enrolled in a private college or with a teacher who’s been documenting everything it’s a risk not to sit the exam

I have been advised by both teachers (I’m going two subjects) to sit the exam as there is no guarantee re calc grade as system has been improved this year and you have to provide proof of continuous assessment course work, classes etc. Then the school you’re registers in have to approve the calculated grades based on the proof provided. Unless you’re enrolled in a private college or with a teacher who’s been documenting everything it’s a risk not to sit the exam

My daughter is repeating this year as well. The problem is that teachers have no way of knowing what grade you will end up with. They know what grade they give you but not the algorithm it will be put through.

There is loads more choice on the exam paper so you have better odds of doing well if you sit the exam and go for predicted grades than just predicted grades.

sue97 wrote: »
    My daughter is repeating this year as well. The problem is that teachers have no way of knowing what grade you will end up with. They know what grade they give you but not the algorithm it will be put through.

There is loads more choice on the exam paper so you have better odds of doing well if you sit the exam and go for predicted grades than just predicted grades.

is it still an algorithm this year? as the guidance doesnt suggest that at all, the documentations i.e. proof of course covered, grades etc. is provided to the school and it is examined by 3 independent teachers and the prinicipal then decides if they are satisfied the grade given is reflective of the work completed/proof provided.. or maybe i have interpreted it wrong

is it still an algorithm this year? as the guidance doesnt suggest that at all, the documentations i.e. proof of course covered, grades etc. is provided to the school and it is examined by 3 independent teachers and the prinicipal then decides if they are satisfied the grade given is reflective of the work completed/proof provided.. or maybe i have interpreted it wrong

Yes. It’s called national standardisation this year.

• Advertisement

hi, did you decide to sit the exam or just go with accredited grades?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MaryGG

Looking for advice please. My son wants to do History as an external subject as his school doesn't run it for Leaving cert. How should we go about it? I would appreciate any advice on where to start

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ask one of the History teachers in the school whether they would be willing to check his work as he goes along. That way, they can sign off on his research essay.

For actual classes, there MAY be night classes locally, or grinds available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MaryGG

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CE DCG

A document issued to schools this week and it contained information in relation to external candidates. I suggest that you contact the SEC to get a copy. As far as I know external candidates are being treated more favourably this year as a result of the 2 court decisions during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Duffleboxie

How did everyone get on?

Advertisement