Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir fibre to the cabinet without Direct Debit

Options
  • 05-01-2021 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi

Currently with Eir and pay bills bi-monthly, just have landline and basic internet connection.

There is an option to upgrade to fibre to the cabinet, I tried to do this on my MyEir account but couldn’t proceed without signing up for direct debit. I don’t want this.

Does anyone know if it possible to get fibre to the cabinet with eir without direct debit? Will ring tomorrow but interested if it is even possible as they are so hard to get through to.

What about other providers? A quick look at the best deals available and all seem to involve Direct Debit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a long time ago but I think when NGA started was when they started insisting on DD. So I guess you're on an old ADSL package.

On one hand DD shouldnt be an issue, its a bit of a red flag if it is, but at the same time Eirs billing platform is a DISASTER so personally if I was going for FTTC Id pick another provider. Vodafone/The rest are far less likely to accidentally bill you €600 instead of €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭dam099

Direct Debits are less of on an issue now, under the SEPA DD rules you have the right to recall without giving a reason. I suppose it if was actually something like €600 instead of €60 it could still cause an unexpected overdraft and/or block other legitimate transactions until the reversal happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Happyhouse22

dam099 wrote: »
    Direct Debits are less of on an issue now, under the SEPA DD rules you have the right to recall without giving a reason. I suppose it if was actually something like €600 instead of €60 it could still cause an unexpected overdraft and/or block other legitimate transactions until the reversal happens.

Fair enough, have had a bad experience in the past but it was years ago.

Mad that there is no option to avoid, bill has been paid on time every time since well before Eircom came into existence.

I presume ringing them won’t make any difference- the people on to the phone probably don’t have any discretion in these matters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Go with somebody else other than Eir and direct debit should be safe enough.

I wouldn't trust Eir with direct debit, I had a terrible experience with them when trying to cancel before. Their customer service is non existent.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Go with somebody else other than Eir and direct debit should be safe enough.

I wouldn't trust Eir with direct debit, I had a terrible experience with them when trying to cancel before. Their customer service is non existent.

Well I messaged them on Twitter during the week (another difficult experience) and they seemed to suggest that it is possible to pay them without direct debit

• Advertisement

Just to update this. Called Eir and had Fibre to the cabinet installed, for an extra €2.50 per month I was able to avoid paying by direct debit and to continue with my current method of paying the Bill.

Advertisement