Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Help

Options
  • 05-01-2021 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I have an acer aspire a315-31, 4gb ddr3l and 1tb HDD. It is 2 years old and had been painfully slow in both start up and using since it was new. Ill put the full spec below if anyone can tell me would it be worth upgrading to SSD and putting in 8gb RAM?

Thanks in advance!

System Manufacturer: Acer
    System Series / Model: Aspire A315-31 ( Version: V1.12 )
    Serial Number: NXGNTEK002813114667600
    Motherboard: APL - Ivysaur_AP
    Total Installed Memory: 4 GB
    Memory Type: DDR3
    Modules Installed: Slot "BANK 0" has 2 GB installed
    Slot "BANK 1" has 2 GB installed
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Hide Advanced Details
    Module Details: Slot "BANK 0", 2 GB, Speed "1333 MHz DIMM", Type "DDR3", Manufacturer "SK Hynix"
    Slot "BANK 1", 2 GB, Speed "1333 MHz DIMM", Type "DDR3", Manufacturer "SK Hynix"
    Memory Available to OS: 3.84 GB
    System Family / Range: Aspire 3
    System Architecture: x64-based PC
    Physical Processors: 1
    Processor Cores: 4
    Motherboard Version: V1.12
    Bios Vendor: Insyde Corp.
    Bios Version: V1.12
    Bios Release Date: 03/02/2018

Comments

the poor n3350 cpu in that is a really low-end one - it's at the lowest end of the scale.

I'd recommend swapping the slow HDD for a sata 2.5 inch ssd which will definitely improve things and it's a cheap upgrade

(google how to clean install windows from a usb key that you will have set-up for the purpose)

the ram is not upgradable as it's soldered in.

longer-term think about getting a more capable laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tasha4w

Thanks for that, I'll upgrade to a SSD.

Unfortunatly it was a good willed gift from my husband who knows nothing about computers and I didn't have the heart to tell him it wasn't a great one at the time!

Advertisement