Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Teacher Laptops

Options
  • 05-01-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi there,

Hopefully someone can help advise me. I am looking to buy 10 - 15 laptops for teachers in a school to help facilitate online learning.

Would require something sturdy with Windows 10 Pro. Mainly used for video calls, Web browsing, word processing etc. These would be to replace current desktops so preferably quick with an SSD.

Considering something like this unless anyone has a better suggestion. https://bit.ly/35d66FB

Budget of around €6/700.

All help much appreciated as not very knowledgeable on the tech side of things but need to get this right.

All the best and thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

Just coming on as I'm looking for something for my wife, a teacher also.

What you have there looks good and ticks all the boxes that I had in mind for a suitable laptop.

I'm not sure what the AMD Ryzen processor compares to in intel land. So can only assume it's somewhere close to i5/i7?
    8gb ram is a nice middle range that should be well able to handle running multiple programs, tabs and video calls.
    512 GB ssd is what I was aiming for - SSD makes everything run smoother and faster and is adequate storage for documents, images and video. As long as you don't plan on storing large libraries of videos, music etc.
    You can use cloud storage like dropbox, google drive etc for larger collections and keep them off your laptop until you need portions of it.
    15.6 screen is a good size - probably on the large side these days.
    3 usb ports and a HDMI should be sufficient.

Can't really comment on the quality of HP these days over other brands, but they don't have a bad name and I would imagine they're a safe bet.
    I'm adding this one to my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Laptek computers in Galway. Might advise you best.

leg wrote: »
    Hi there,

Hopefully someone can help advise me. I am looking to buy 10 - 15 laptops for teachers in a school to help facilitate online learning.

Would require something sturdy with Windows 10 Pro. Mainly used for video calls, Web browsing, word processing etc. These would be to replace current desktops so preferably quick with an SSD.

Considering something like this unless anyone has a better suggestion. https://bit.ly/35d66FB

Budget of around €6/700.

All help much appreciated as not very knowledgeable on the tech side of things but need to get this right.

All the best and thank you

this is a really solidly built (full metal chassis case) laptop with a very capable 6-core cpu, 8gb ram and fast ssd. nice ips (better contrast and viewing angles) screen.

nice design and fairly light also

for 699 at the moment

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/huawei-matebook-d-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-space-grey-10215076-pdt.html

it does have an unusual viewing angle on the webcam as it pops out of a key at the top of the keyboard

if that bothers you I'd recommend a usb webcam from amazon as for significant webcam use the ones in most laptops are poor - no autofocus, small viewing angle, low rez, dark

Hi there,

that laptop is a horrendous heavy plastic lump in fairness.

it has a particularly crap dim screen

the 6-core 4500u beats the 3500u out the gate also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Thank you all for the advice much appreciated!

Unfortunately this is proving much harder than first anticipated as nowhere seems to have laptops in stock at the moment. Does anyone please know where might have 15 decent spec Windows 10 Pro laptops in stock? Thank you very much

Unfortunately this is proving much harder than first anticipated as nowhere seems to have laptops in stock at the moment. Does anyone please know where might have 15 decent spec Windows 10 Pro laptops in stock? Thank you very much

win 10 pro is not typically sold with laptops in shops - pretty much never so you won't really find any

it's a corporate product

you'll have to buy win 10 pro licences yourself

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

you could also try ebay - sellers are often taken down but buy one to test

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=windows+10+pro+key&_sacat=0

else you could try contacting say Dell to see if they could sort you out as they will have them

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/laptops/sr/laptops/windows-10-pro?appliedRefinements=23721

work section so Ex Vat prices quoted - but if for a school should be able to get VAT back?

Hi Glasso, thank you very much for the reply. The windows 10 Pro does seem to complicate things slightly so will research further buying the license upgrade separate. Thank you for the links. I have been in contact with Dell and they have an 8 week lead time at the minute. Who knew it would be so difficult to get some laptops!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Hi Glasso, thank you very much for the reply. The windows 10 Pro does seem to complicate things slightly so will research further buying the license upgrade separate. Thank you for the links. I have been in contact with Dell and they have an 8 week lead time at the minute. Who knew it would be so difficult to get some laptops!

What's the reason you need Windows 10 Pro rather than home? The difference is fairly minimal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

If you want to pm me I've just received an email with a link to company that said they have laptops in stock next week for teachers. We used the company before and were good to deal with. Not sure if I can post it here or if that would be seen as advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

If you want to pm me I've just received an email with a link to company that said they have laptops in stock next week for teachers. We used the company before and were good to deal with. Not sure if I can post it here or if that would be seen as advertising

Might be no harm to post the specs of them if possible so people can try to help choose one to suit OPs needs, even if it's not s direct link

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

HP 255 G7 Laptop

€390.00

Available on back-order

Get connected with the value-priced HP laptop for students and teachers. Complete school tasks with AMD technology, essential collaboration tools and Windows 10. The durable chassis helps protect the notebook from the rigors of the school day.

AMD A4-9125 Processor | 4GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Windows 10 Pro | 15.6″ Display | AMD Radeon Graphics | 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1; 1 USB 2.0; 1 HDMI 1.4b; 1 RJ-45; | Up to 10 hours Battery | 3 Yr Onsite Warranty

That's a poor cpu

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Believe it or not 8 weeks is a very good leadtime ATM. Everyone is looking for mobile devices especially the entry level ones.

Bear in mind companies need them for staff working from home, schools need them for students and staff and university students need them for online lectures as well. Basically the computer industry has gone from 55% Laptop 45% Desktop to nearly 90% Laptop in less than a year. The logistics side has not caught up yet.

If the school have a relationship with a reseller I'd advise contacting them as a quantity of 15 systems could qualify for a discount from a vendor and could offset the extra cost for Win pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I do realise that you have a very limited budget but I did some research a few months ago for my wife who a secondary school teacher. My conclusion was that the Microsoft Surface Pro was the best option/ I managed to get one for her for around €1000.

It really is excellent for a teaching environment,

In the meantime the school she is in purchased a mini Microsoft Surface Pro for all of the teachers. I dont know the price but they were certainly cheaper than the bigger one I bought.

I would advise you to check out this option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

If the laptops are for teaching staff, surely the best way to go is via the Department of Educations procurement site. Some excellent prices on laptops, desktops, Chromebooks and tablets.... both new and used.
    Mostly big name IT suppliers keen to stay on side with the big department procurement contracts!
    You will need a school roll number to avail of this.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ask the question on the CESI google forum (think you have to join first).

It's a mix of Comp. Sci. Teachers, School IT Admins and professionals who deal with schools (but always declare their interest and company name)

Have to say surfaces are just as good as Apple in terms of performance and durability. But might be over the €700 budget.

https://groups.google.com/g/cesi-list

Advertisement