Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people in bedsits avoid getting kitchen/food smell on their clothes?

Options
  • 05-01-2021 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I'm doing an experiment in my current apartment and moving my living gear into my spacious kitchen, to replicate the environment of a bedsit (into which I shall be shortly moving).

I currently use about half my spacious kitchen as office space, so will be transferring that to my bedroom.

The first concern that came to mind is, how to avoid the smell of cooked food getting on my clothes?

Folk in bedsits must face this challenge on a daily basis?

How do they avoid going to work/college without stinking like fried chicken?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't fry chicken... or eat anything else that produces significant odours or steam, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

I'm doing an experiment in my current apartment and moving my living gear into my spacious kitchen, to replicate the environment of a bedsit (into which I shall be shortly moving).

I currently use about half my spacious kitchen as office space, so will be transferring that to my bedroom.

The first concern that came to mind is, how to avoid the smell of cooked food getting on my clothes?

A really good Air Purifier will go a long way.

I didn't think that bedsits are still a thing. Were they not outlawed a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

DubLad69 wrote: »

I didn't think that bedsits are still a thing. Were they not outlawed a few years ago?

They were.. I'm sure the OP is referring to a Studio where living / kitchen / bedroom are all in the same space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Doop wrote: »
    They were.. I'm sure the OP is referring to a Studio where living / kitchen / bedroom are all in the same space.

Basically a churched up way of saying "bedsit"?

L1011 wrote: »
    You don't fry chicken... or eat anything else that produces significant odours or steam, basically.

Bu...bu....but, I can't live without muh fried chicken.

Is this for real?

People in "studios" simply don't cook steamy food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

You just smell of things - depending on the space sometimes a lot.

I found bacon the worst smell to carry around all day, as well as anything oily

You just smell of things - depending on the space sometimes a lot.

I found bacon the worst smell to carry around all day, as well as anything oily

lol - that's no kind of solution.

I deep fry everything.

I deep fry everyday.

Well, this is a start.

Any suggestions for a good air purifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Well the issue at the time was shared bathrooms amongst different units, ie more then one unit using the same sanitary facilities. (shared bathroom WC/toilet within the common area). This is what was traditionally know as a bed-sit. This was more often than not housed within a subdivided Georgian building ('Pre-63') Proving sanitary facilities within each unit was the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

lol - that's no kind of solution.

I deep fry everything.

I deep fry everyday.

Oh I'd choose to be smelly as well - bacon is life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A Studio has a couch

A bedsit has a crying chair

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Well, this is a start.

If you have the money the dyson hot and cool are great! If your on a budget then there are plenty of decent ones on amazon. I have a himox one that's decent (but not as good as the dyson).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’d say if you run everywhere in the fresh air (fast), you’ll get rid of a lot of the smells on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

And don’t forgot that fabreze will shift it

jlm29 wrote: »
    And don’t forgot that fabreze will shift it

Not in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mary contrary

Hi,

We recently bought this to dry clothes BUT it comes with an air purifier! Have used it when cooking and frying and we have found it brilliant. We do have a largeish kitchen so the smell is everywhere when cooking and dry clothes in the kitchen and have found it to be great (dries clothes overnight!). We got the 20L one but it does come in smaller size. Might suit?

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/electriq-20l-low-energy-anti-bacterial-dehumidifier-for-houses-up-to-5-bedrooms-cd20le?refsource=bidieadwords&mkwid=sSzqByhxi_dm&pcrid=291254624761&product=CD20LE&pgrid=57294539663&ptaid=pla-471710738594&channel=googlesearch&gclid=CjwKCAiAi_D_BRApEiwASslbJzFUIJLzdWVoe35HP7HEcq2l25qXj5Td1LjnAFpeSyEp0ZfWCD2FiRoCRLoQAvD_BwE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Buy a diffuser. Use essential oils. That way you will smell of lemongrass and rashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

You basically sit der crying in a bedsit, so the smell of your clothes is the least of your worries.

I lived in kne for my first job in Dublin, horrible fecking yokes.

If you have the money the dyson hot and cool are great! If your on a budget then there are plenty of decent ones on amazon. I have a himox one that's decent (but not as good as the dyson).

A dude suggested this in another thread also.

It has a lot of additional features I wouldn't require (the dyson), and my primary concern would be odor removal - but it's certainly encouraging to hear they're so effective for the intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Look into creating a space for your bed/storage which is separated from the rest of the apartment.

Floor to ceiling style shelves can be great for creating a separate space and almost create a bedroom.

• Advertisement

You could also spend a few hundred on giant lego blocks and build a bedroom. :D

https://www.everblocksystems.co.uk/collections/blocks/products/modular-block-12x6-full-block

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They dont.
    They just get so used to it they cant smell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 letithappen

Use an air fryer instead of an oven will reduce the smell too.

Use an air fryer instead of an oven will reduce the smell too.

Ever eaten air fried food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

You could also spend a few hundred on giant lego blocks and build a bedroom. :D

https://www.everblocksystems.co.uk/collections/blocks/products/modular-block-12x6-full-block

What happens if theres a fire? Death by lego lava?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mate who's a heavy smoker found this to be good; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Breeze-Purifier-Negative-Generator/dp/B074FZLGZY/

What happens if theres a fire? Death by lego lava?

They are fire rated blocks that don't melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

During my long years of bedsit living, I avoided this pitfall by living almost exclusively off takeaways and ready meals:p:p

I lived in a bed sit in Dublin in the late noughties

Use the oven id say, have you an extractor? You cant really use the oven for pasta and cooking certain type of meat etc

I remember mice everywhere, being in bed hearing mice in room, I used to set mice traps

• Advertisement

During my long years of bedsit living, I avoided this pitfall by living almost exclusively off takeaways and ready meals:p:p
    Same here

I remember the shower broke one time and I had to boil the kettle to wash until she fixed it

Advertisement