Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aqualisa Aquastream power shower problem

Options
  • 05-01-2021 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

See attached which is circa 20 years old.
    Starting to go on the blink before Christmas and now has packed up altogether. Seems that the rotating switches are not engaging and switching on the pump. Before if you tricked around with them they would switch on but not any more.
    I know It has served me well but just hadn't budgeted for such an outlay in January ! Any quick checks I can do ? Water still trickling through but not usable.
    If for the scrap heap, what replacement would you recommend ?
    This is just a power mixing shower, not heating water.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's a MK2. Stopped making them in 2003. Obsolete now and they no longer make parts.

MT Agencies 018643363 are the agents. If anyone would have the part (loom) it would be them.

Word of warning if replacing. B&Q & Screwfix.ie bring them in from the UK bypassing the Irish agent. As a result these showers come without a warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Many thanks for the reply and diagnosis. I will contact MT. Is this a job for plumber, electrician or other ?
    I am in Westmeath. Thanks for the heads up on the warranty for replacement.

DIY KING wrote: »
    Many thanks for the reply and diagnosis. I will contact MT. Is this a job for plumber, electrician or other ?
    I am in Westmeath. Thanks for the heads up on the warranty for replacement.

MT Agencies are the Aqualisa agent & they have service engineers that can do it for you. If it is the loom it's something you might do yourself & save the guts of 100 euro. It's a low voltage shower. If you stood in a bucket of water & held the bare wires in your hands, the 24 volts couldn't kill you. You wouldn't even feel it. So safe for you to try if you want to

While I have your attention, the shower was prone to high pitch 'whistling' on occasion. No impact on flow rate though.
    What would be the cause of this ?

DIY KING wrote:
    While I have your attention, the shower was prone to high pitch 'whistling' on occasion. No impact on flow rate though. What would be the cause of this ?

That would be the motor dying of old age I'm afraid. I wouldn't be spending a lot of money on it. You should be looking at a cheap fix that will buy you a few months or even a year.

• Advertisement

Fair play. You are obviously in the trade and thanks for sharing you invaluable experience.
    In terms of replacement, what brands would you recommend ?
    In order to minimise the work, what would the best like for like replacement be and rough costs for supply and fit ?

DIY KING wrote:
    Fair play. You are obviously in the trade and thanks for sharing you invaluable experience. In terms of replacement, what brands would you recommend ? In order to minimise the work, what would the best like for like replacement be and rough costs for supply and fit ?

I've still no good news for you I'm afraid. The only direct replacements are the Aqualisa aquastream or Aqualisa Hydramax. Neither are cheap. Any other shower needs the wiring & plumbing redone

So after a family meeting, a request has been put in for a 'deluge' type shower head. Plumber coming later in week but I'd like to know my options. So current shower takes hot water from immersion, cold from tank via pumped mixer in shower which is banjaxed.
    I take it a separate stand alone pump will be need in the attic which will feed a new mixer in the shower. Is this correct ? Can you get a combined pump / mixer with a deluge head ? Doesn't need to be massive but just a bit bigger than you standard shower head.

So after a family meeting, a request has been put in for a 'deluge' type shower head. Plumber coming later in week but I'd like to know my options. So current shower takes hot water from immersion, cold from tank via pumped mixer in shower which is banjaxed.
    I take it a separate stand alone pump will be need in the attic which will feed a new mixer in the shower. Is this correct ? Can you get a combined pump / mixer with a deluge head ? Doesn't need to be massive but just a bit bigger than you standard shower head.

I think you are talking about a rain head/ French shower

There are no rain head showers with built in pump, unless you go with a digital shower. I stopped installing digital showers as they all have a high failure rate, no matter who makes them. They are expensive to repair. Personally I don't like any shower with a expensive PCB board inside.

If you go for a separate pump & shower then hot press is usually easiest option for the pump.Cheaper plastic bodied pumps make a lot of noise. Brass body pumps are dearer but much quieter

Yes rain head type. Not looking for a massive one, say 5" diam, just slightly bigger than the norm. Is it possible just to change heads if I go with the new Aqualisa Aquastream Mk3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Rain head is one thing, but install one that is not delivering a high flow (better part of 20l per minute) and you might find yourself in another family meeting.

In your circumstance I would give serious consideration to the aquastream mk3. It is expensive, and will still require parts changed over the years. But it is a fine shower. I think it delivers about 18L per minute.

Note you need a reasonable degree of stored water, hot and cold to provide it with!

Yes rain head type. Not looking for a massive one, say 5" diam, just slightly bigger than the norm. Is it possible just to change heads if I go with the new Aqualisa Aquastream Mk3 ?

You would have to buy a rain head with diverter. Something like this https://www.screwfix.ie/p/cooke-lewis-diverter-shower-kit-modern-design-chrome/3749T?gclid=Cj0KCQiArvX_BRCyARIsAKsnTxMn4hph6UBRtpbRqoocWFdlgY3QLvaWs9OZGw-raHOpiJPjrT7VzM8aAjz9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Don’t suppose anybody has an Aqualisa Dual Speed Loom Assembly - Aquastream Mk3-2003-Current lying around ???

Not many places to order in Ireland to avoid the extra customs and clearance charges but the link below will get you want you need

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Actually got everything from MT Agencies Ireland ltd , Norman in there was ultra helpful ..

https://www.facebook.com/mtagencies.ie/

Advertisement