Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a derelict council house

Options
  • 05-01-2021 5:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi,
    This has probably been asked before and is probably a no goer from the council side.
    There is a derelict council house nearby me which I'd be interested in buying there are 5 in a row and these haven't been lived in in years. How/who would I contact in the council to try buy it? or will the council just not bother?
    I know there was a post recently about buying a council house which was on land the council wanted to build on but as far a s I'm aware there's nothing like that going on here.

Cheers

Comments

You'd have to contact the Council's housing officer.

However, your situation is a great example of what's wrong in Ireland.

Unfortunately, the council are less interested in having sensible budgets, and more interested in how they 'look' to people. So even if you offered them a million euro, they likely wouldn't sell to you, as they'd be seen to be 'selling houses that could be used for the homeless'.

Instead they'll likely sit unused for years to come, eventually the council will spend an arm a leg renovating them to the highest standards, and then people who never worked a day in their lives will get keys to them. In the meantime, if you try to buy any reasonably priced property, the council will possibly bid against you, to also give it to the unfortunates who have been on the housing list since their 18th birthday.

I once contacted Limerick Co Co if I could buy a run down group of apartments to make available to social applicants. Never heard back from them.

Advertisement