Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A time you didn't listen

Options
  • 04-01-2021 10:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭

We all have these moments from time to time. Can you think of a time that you didn't listen? And, on hindsight, do you think there actually would have been a right way for someone to have talked sense into you. I suppose sometimes you just have an idea in your head and you have to see for yourself.

For me, it was postponing college for a year to do a commission based door-to-door sales job! I wouldn't listen to my dad. I deluded myself into thinking I was 'self employed'. I justified it as I could think of a hundred and one reasons why my college course was sucked. But yet I struggled to think of one good reason to drop out. No one teaches you how to recognise when things are too good to be true.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would discontinue thinking about whatever garbage you are currently deliberating.

Life is too short.

Re-apply for college and do something you like.

Good luck,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Deemed as Normal

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I would discontinue thinking about whatever garbage you are currently deliberating.

Life is too short.

Re-apply for college and do something you like.

Good luck,
    I've long since finished college now.

There's nothing wrong with not going to college if you truly have the determination to work hard. I, however, was a bit lazy though... very easy to get through college while being lazy. At the same time I bought into this "you don't need college" idea. I wanted it both ways!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I've long since finished college now.

There's nothing wrong with not going to college if you truly have the determination to work hard. I, however, was a bit lazy though... very easy to get through college while being lazy. At the same time I bought into this "you don't need college" idea. I wanted it both ways!

Well at least learn how to listen, it would be a start?

Once again, it was long in the past. Feel free to share your own story.

We all don't listen from time to time. It can also be hard to decipher whether to person giving the advice is right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Bellejelles

Most people don't listen about covid they front wear a mask go to funneral or a bar then they get sick and die

• Advertisement

Most people don't listen about covid they front wear a mask go to funneral or a bar then they get sick and die
    Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

Didn’t listen when I was in my 20’s and insistent on buying a house for crazy money about 20 mins before all the house prices crashed in 2008.

Both my parents advised me to wait and bit and see what happened in the market but I brushed them off with a causal “what would you know” and steamrolled ahead.
    12 years later and I hope to exit negative equity this year !!!
    Oh well, you live and learn!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I once didn't listen when my father gave me some sage advice in my youth. I regretted it almost immediately, but it was too late.

We were walking near the lake, on a crisp winter's day not unlike today. Quietly taking in the majesty of nature.

He turned, looked me in the eye and placed his his hand on my shoulder. "Duck", he said.

Well, he says he did. I didn't hear it. I was wearing headphones.

Turns out, a mallard in the side of the head gives quite the concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When Slade was on Top of The Pops at Christmas

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Chipotle

Perhaps you should learn how to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

When the boy cried wolf.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

We all have these moments from time to time. Can you think of a time that you didn't listen? And, on hindsight, do you think there actually would have been a right way for someone to have talked sense into you. I suppose sometimes you just have an idea in your head and you have to see for yourself.

For me, it was postponing college for a year to do a commission based door-to-door sales job! I wouldn't listen to my dad. I deluded myself into thinking I was 'self employed'. I justified it as I could think of a hundred and one reasons why my college course was sucked. But yet I struggled to think of one good reason to drop out. No one teaches you how to recognise when things are too good to be true.

We can't all be college graduates.
    Someone has to empty the bins.

policarp wrote: »
    We can't all be college graduates.
    Someone has to empty the bins.
    Is that Chris Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What?

Advertisement