Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Lodger is putting me off having one.

Options
  • 04-01-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

This is my 3rd lodger.
    1st one was Brazilian. Nice girl, no problems
    2nd one was Korean. Very shy and quiet, smelly food but nothing to complain about.
    This lst one is Indian. She has been here 1 month and has had maybe 5 showers in that time!! Her and the room reek of incense so I'd imagine she is using it to cover the smell. Is this Indian culture to no wash?

She doesn't clean the kitchen properly after herself and leaves pots of food on the hob for days.

She is leaving soon to move in with her BF in a house share with another family so that is making it a little less annoying.

Did we get a bad one? We've advertised again but so far have only had interest from Indians. She has put us off them tbh.

Anyone in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's not a nationality thing, it's a personal thing. I know Irish people with worse personal hygiene and cleanliness than that.

The problem at the moment is that there are next to no Irish people looking to rent rooms. With working from home, location is less important. I've had three lodgers, one French, one Irish, current one is Asian. The Irish one was by far the worst. You have to trust your instincts when you're renting a room out. I only do replies by email as you can tell a lot and also check out social media etc. 95% of the replies I got last time were filed in a "not a chance" folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Wow. What a lot of generalising, stereotyping and racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

LOL this has to be a wind up, that or a complete lack of self-awareness to a comical degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You encounter one Indian person with poor personal hygiene and you assume all 1 billion of them are the same.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of people with stories of Irish people who were smelly bastards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

seamus wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll find plenty of people with stories of Irish people who were smelly bastards too.

It's the boiled cabbage everyday that put me off them tbh. That and the incessant talk about GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Wow. What a lot of generalising, stereotyping and racism.

I should have said, I worked with about 20 different Indians over my time. Most didn't place a lot of emphasis on hygiene. The more westernised they were the more they did.

Also, this girl herself told my wife that she didn't like sharing with other Indians as they didn't clean enough!
    I suppose she's being racist too?

As for generalising and stereotyping, I am asking for other peoples opinions and actual experiences to avoid that. Please be a PC snowflake somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

khaldrogo wrote: »
    This is my 3rd lodger.
    1st one was Brazilian. Nice girl, no problems
    2nd one was Korean. Very shy and quiet, smelly food but nothing to complain about.
    This lst one is Indian. She has been here 1 month and has had maybe 5 showers in that time!! Her and the room reek of incense so I'd imagine she is using it to cover the smell. Is this Indian culture to no wash?

She doesn't clean the kitchen properly after herself and leaves pots of food on the hob for days.

She is leaving soon to move in with her BF in a house share with another family so that is making it a little less annoying.

Did we get a bad one? We've advertised again but so far have only had interest from Indians. She has put us off them tbh.

Anyone in the same boat?

Yes it's part of indian culture to do this.

I've shared with many people over many years and I know culture, it's just a Hindi thing to do exactly as you've described.

I know an Indian dude (one of the coolest people I've ever lived with) who'd leave saucepans out for days 'till the food would almost rot, then still eat it, lol.

It's just their culture/how they think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement