Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccinating and microchipping pups

Options
  • 04-01-2021 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

What sort of money would you be looking at spending on giving pups there first vaccination and getting microchipped?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

€50 for the vaccine, maybe another 50 for the chip. I paid €25 to get my dog chipped but it’s nearly a decade ago and I had to pay extra again for the cert when that rule came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

DJ98 wrote: »
    What sort of money would you be looking at spending on giving pups there first vaccination and getting microchipped?

I can let you know tomorrow. Getting our pup her vaccine and microchip in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I can let you know tomorrow. Getting our pup her vaccine and microchip in the morning.

Was she not vaccinated (at least first shots) and microchipped before u got her?

cocker5 wrote: »
    Was she not vaccinated (at least first shots) and microchipped before u got her?

Nope - dont mention the war. So we bought her from a woman in Roscommon and had weekly video calls and the woman was amazing. But when we got Cloud we noticed she was really small. Turns out she was about 7 weeks old and had no vaccines. So we started from scratch.
    She got her 2nd vaccine today and her chip which cost us €70. She needs to go back in again in about 4 weeks for another one.

She's about 10 weeks and 2Kg now. As the Vet said, this is the state we should have gotten her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Nope - dont mention the war. So we bought her from a woman in Roscommon and had weekly video calls and the woman was amazing. But when we got Cloud we noticed she was really small. Turns out she was about 7 weeks old and had no vaccines. So we started from scratch.
    She got her 2nd vaccine today and her chip which cost us €70. She needs to go back in again in about 4 weeks for another one.

ShWell e's about 10 weeks and 2Kg now. As the Vet said, this is the state we should have gotten her in.

Please report the breeder, it is illegal to sell an unmicrochipped dog. You may not want to, but this screams puppy farm and is the only way to stop them.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    Please report the breeder, it is illegal to sell an unmicrochipped dog. You may not want to, but this screams puppy farm and is the only way to stop them.

Already done :)
    We did so much research into this at the time, and took our time looking at different options. We were really ticked off when this happened. But Cloud is thriving now and is a little bundle of fluff :)

Already done :)
    We did so much research into this at the time, and took our time looking at different options. We were really ticked off when this happened. But Cloud is thriving now and is a little bundle of fluff :)

It’s be great she’s doing well and will have a good life with you but does no one think of the poor mums and dads left behind in these hell holes? Can u imagine the condition they must be in

As long as there is demand .. supply will be there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I assumed the OP was maybe vaccinating a litter of pups? So would probably get a discount from the vets..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

tk123 wrote: »
    I assumed the OP was maybe vaccinating a litter of pups? So would probably get a discount from the vets..

I assumed that too but when I looked back on the ops posts, 7 weeks ago they were in the market for a pup which was bred from farm dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Seems there's a lot of sellers ignorant (wilful or otherwise) of the law. When we got our puppy, he did have a chip and his first shots which we verified with the vet who gave them. All we had to do was take him for the second lot.

But we were talking to our landlord who also got a puppy recently. The dog had neither, and the landlord wasn't aware he had to get the chip and shots done. He's done it now, though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

does it matter which side of the border a pup is microchippped? seems prices are keener the north of border?

yes it does .. some countries use different websites to log the data / details .. so the chip may not scan

surely the cost of the petrol driving to another vet nearly outways the cost difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

not for 10 pups. distance is also similar as i live along the border

il ask which website they register them to

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You can register them to whatever database you want to, for a fee, once they've been microchipped.

Advertisement