Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect skin products / routines. Why do we let them feed us lies?

Options
  • 04-01-2021 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I've struggled with my skin all my life. And imagine so many people are still on the quest for the perfect products, even after years or decades of looking.

What's the problem? What IS the answer to our skin care problems? :confused:

Well...I’ve bought the most expensive products, so called 'professional skin consultations'
    and reputable cosmeceutical (made up to sound medical) brands.
    But they’ve never actually fixed my skin. :eek:
    I’ve just ended up spending a fortune on products that actually just sensitised my skin and made it worse!
    I've done so much skin research, only to learn what the real problem is - we're being fed so many lies about what's good for our skin, or what it needs. It's actually scary.

This is because we’re being fed exaggerated product benefits and essentially LIES from across the skincare industry.

The Irish skincare has become such a money-making machine and profit-driven joke. It’s kind of scary! :mad:
    Skin care companies such as Skin Nerd are gaining massive followings, giving online consultations but they are the price of a doctor consultation and viewed like a prescription, without them even being medically trained?
    Or even professionally in some cases. Like what qualifications are we even to look for?

These companies are recommending us spend hundreds of euro on products and supplements when most of these products (particularly the skin supplements) are NOT even scientifically proven to give anything NEAR the benefits they promise for our skin.

We see big TV ads from the likes of Olay/loreal etc. with big bold statements like 'Visibly reduces the signs of ageing'
    But if you look closer, the study is based on consumer research results from 58% of 50 people or something ridiculous!
    The sample sizes are TOO small to make such big wide-sweeping claims on efficacy.

My dermatologist was so shocked about the products I've been recommended for my skin problems to date.
    She told me to dump all my (expensive) products immediately, especially the supplements.

There's no hard scientific evidence supplements work for the skin like they say - and I've looked bloody hard.
    Can you find any that proof vitamin A cures acne or ageing?

My dermatologist was shocked - said to stop the nonsense and keep it to getting the basics right. (No stupid branded cleanser mitts necessary):)
    • AM - Splash of water, moisturiser, SPF.
    • PM - Gentle cleanser (no fragrance, alcohol etc.), moisturiser, sleep!

We are being taken for a ride by these companies and brands and they're making millions. Why are we letting this happen in our country?

Is this ever going to stop!?

How do you choose your skincare regime/products? 23 votes

I visit a qualified Dermatologist doctor regularly
    65% 15 votes
    I chose my own products, mostly from TV or social media ads
    0% 0 votes
    I chose my own products,I educate myself with science/ facts on what should keep my skin healthy
    4% 1 vote
    I book skin consults with salons & usually buy their recommendations
    26% 6 votes
    I book online skin consults & usually buy their recommendations
    0% 0 votes
    I take recommendations from friends/family
    0% 0 votes
    I don't have a skin regime - just water!
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Its just business , advertising , sales

They have us brainwashed, look beyond it to see what u need for your skin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im interested to know what you mean by supplements?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emeraldaisy

I mean dietary or beauty supplements like vitamins C or A. There's no real evidence they improve the skin's health/ reach the skin, yet they're sold to people as an answer to all kinds of skin issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

When I was a young lad I always remember my Mother only ever using Atrixo. But now there are creams for different parts of the body for different times of the day and year. Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Vitamin C (topical, from The Ordinary) fixed my skin, and overnight. It was like magic.
    So some of this stuff does work for some people; but to your point, my miracle vitamin C only costs a tenner or so. Some formulations would charge you 100+ for basically the same active ingredients...

• Advertisement

thegills wrote: »
    When I was a young lad I always remember my Mother only ever using Atrixo. But now there are creams for different parts of the body for different times of the day and year. Crazy.

You are so right. My granny always told me not to mess with my skin when she saw me using various products. I didn't listen of course lol but wish I had. She used that too - Atrixo. She had the softest smoothest skin of anyone I knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fools and their money......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, sensitive skin here, and tried a few products that made my skin far far worse. Since then never bought into the 'skincare' industry. Moisturiser, SPF and that's it. I "cleanse" with warm water.

thegills wrote: »
    strandroad wrote: »
    Vitamin C (topical, from The Ordinary) fixed my skin, and overnight. It was like magic.
    So some of this stuff does work for some people; but to your point, my miracle vitamin C only costs a tenner or so. Some formulations would charge you 100+ for basically the same active ingredients...

That's great! The Ordinary is fab sometimes for those gems.
    Something that could cost €50 up the road for not much difference probably!
    I think as long as we know what we're using and it agrees with us - it's good news.
    Like before, I didn't know that high concentration Vit C can aggravate acne-prone skin.
    So while that would probably send my skin crazy, it could work a dream for you.

It's all about information & proper advice, trial and error... but power to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I think if you have normal skin and no skin issues, you will get away with a minimal routine as you describe but if you want to treat issues such as minor acne or pigmentation you can benefit from an acid like AHA/BHA or a vitamin C serum. Retinol serums are also proven to work for anti aging and there has been lots of research into this. You do need to do your own research with these type of products as they can be too strong and have to be added one at a time and very gradually to a skincare routine to make sure there is no reaction.

Pricewise it really doesn't matter a great deal whether its a €15 product or much higher though I would be hesitant to spend a lot of money on these type products when there are companies like Deciem the Ordinary/ The Inkey list doing great no fuss products that work. Personally for me in my forties I like to spend a little bit more and like Deciems more premium brand NIOD or Paula's Choice which still come in under €30 mark.

I think if you have a serious skin concern, these products will only do so much and you need to see a dermatologist for issues like severe acne for which they can prescribe accutane or spironolacatone. They can also prescribe Retin A which is the effective product for anti aging and is too strong to be produced for over the counter.

I think there are great online dermatologists and aestheticians like Dr Dray, Nadine Baggot or Gothamista who are not just trying to push products and can give a lot of good advice about no fuss routines and when you are just wasting your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I love my skincare and spend an absolute fortune on it from bargain buys to high end luxury but I think everyone has to take a bit of personal responsibility to educate themselves a bit before parting with their cash for skin and beauty products as you do with anything in life. The advertising industry here in Ireland is fairly well regulated already. I do think Irish social media influencers leave a lot to be desired by their inability to properly say when something is an advert or sponsored etc but my opinion overall is people need to treat the internet and social media as a useful tool and not a definite answer but I think that's just a life lesson really and the responsibility ultimately lies with the consumer after all it's our own hard earned cash.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

lubie76 wrote: »

I think if you have a serious skin concern, these products will only do so much

Think you've hit the nail on the head there! Luxury end products are lovely if you can afford them, and I've definitely splashed out on some gorgeous stuff over the years, no regrets. But if you have a specific issue that needs attention you could save a lot of money in the long run by targeting with the correct products and routine, ideally as recommended by a dermatologist or an experienced esthetician.

My own routine is very simple these days and comes down to the summer I took off to go travelling, had to be very selective about what to bring due to space and weight. The sun and relaxation did a lot for me to perk up my appearance, but part of it too I'm sure is that I was just using LRP facewash and sunscreen every day.

Advertisement