Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out if train line behind house is active

Options
  • 03-01-2021 12:57am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother in law is looking at a house in Navan (hasn't physically viewed it yet due to covid) but looking at Google Satellite view there's a train track running right behind the back garden. Is there any way of finding out how often trains go by certain routes? Usually he said he'd knock in and ask the neighbours but he's not going to do that in the middle of the pandemic. If the train went by once or twice per day he'd be ok with it but if there were hourly trains it would rule that house out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

Maybe try Irishrail.ie => Timetables => timetables by route or station to see frequencies and timing (assuming it's an active train line service rather than a disused line) although i'm not sure if train service times have been impacted by cv19. Might be useful to park near the house when a train passes to see how loud it is when you know the timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

There’s no passenger rail services in Navan currently but the line between Drogheda to Navan remains in use to serve the nearby Tara Mines for Ore loads.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2019/12/06/video-transport-minister-confirms-review-of-navan-rail-line-feasibility-will-happen-next-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

There's only a freight service there to the mines. Maybe 2 trains a day, if even. It's not frequent at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Speaking as someone who lived next to three different rail lines at different stages, you get used to it.
    That rail line in Navan is never going to open up. Its a political football and that is passed around, plenty of smoke and distraction but if there was any real commitment to it, it would have been done ages ago.

I would love the rail line to be open but the NX goes every 20 minutes and is 50 minutes from O Connell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Toots wrote:
    My brother in law is looking at a house in Navan (hasn't physically viewed it yet due to covid) but looking at Google Satellite view there's a train track running right behind the back garden. Is there any way of finding out how often trains go by certain routes? Usually he said he'd knock in and ask the neighbours but he's not going to do that in the middle of the pandemic. If the train went by once or twice per day he'd be ok with it but if there were hourly trains it would rule that house out.

Where is the house ? There are two lines in Navan one going to tara mines which is used as was said once maybe twice a day. The other one which went to gypsum in Kingscourt is closed down.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who looks to see if rails are rusted or shiney?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Am I the only one who looks to see if rails are rusted or shiney?

On the Tara Mines line that won't guarantee much.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Speaking as someone who lived next to three different rail lines at different stages, you get used to it.
    That rail line in Navan is never going to open up. Its a political football and that is passed around, plenty of smoke and distraction but if there was any real commitment to it, it would have been done ages ago.

I would love the rail line to be open but the NX goes every 20 minutes and is 50 minutes from O Connell street.

I think he’s less concerned with the noise although his wife works shift so very frequent trains could be a problem. He’s got young kids and a dog so I think he’s more worried about the kids playing in the back garden next to a busy rail line.
    Where is the house ? There are two lines in Navan one going to tara mines which is used as was said once maybe twice a day. The other one which went to gypsum in Kingscourt is closed down.

It’s on Boyne road, I’m not overly familiar with Navan but he said it’s just opposite the river. River is to the front and the train line is at the end of the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Toots wrote: »
    I think he’s less concerned with the noise although his wife works shift so very frequent trains could be a problem. He’s got young kids and a dog so I think he’s more worried about the kids playing in the back garden next to a busy rail line.

It’s on Boyne road, I’m not overly familiar with Navan but he said it’s just opposite the river. River is to the front and the train line is at the end of the back garden.

We’ll definitely not busy we can assure you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Toots wrote: »
    He’s got young kids and a dog so I think he’s more worried about the kids playing in the back garden next to a busy rail line.

Good fences make good neighbours. If they buy get a 2m high solid fence/wall built and then the kids won't be going anywhere near the rail line.

• Advertisement

Maybe try Irishrail.ie => Timetables => timetables by route or station to see frequencies and timing (assuming it's an active train line service rather than a disused line) although i'm not sure if train service times have been impacted by cv19. Might be useful to park near the house when a train passes to see how loud it is when you know the timings.

The Lead and Zinc mine have leased the line for their private use. There are no public trains on the line for years. The mine dont share their toys. It would be great if there was a train between Navan and Connolly direct in 30 minutes. That is not going to happen despite all the political tomfoolery last election. Politicians use it to distract from real issues. I cant see why the mine are going to give up exclusive access when they are probably paying top dollar for it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Good fences make good neighbours. If they buy get a 2m high solid fence/wall built and then the kids won't be going anywhere near the rail line.

I grew up in the country with a train line near the house.Never heard of any accident on the line except for the times the lady at the level crossing "forgot" to open the gates a few times and the train went straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

The train runs 6 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I grew up near the dublin belfast line and now live by the dart. You get used to the noise it's not a problem at all. Keeping the kids off the line is an issue, we used to go on to the tracks as kids. A good fence it all that he needs. When was the last time you heard of a kid being killed by a train. While it's not something you should ignore its also not happened in a very long time that I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Make a thread over on the Railway forum and give a google maps link to the line, they'll tell you everything about it including times and noise levels etc.

Ive lived on the DART line before, you dont even notice it after a while, not sure Id say the same about being near a flight path though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

My parents house is right beside the Dublin - Waterford train line in Carlow and no issues, they’re there about 25 years now. You get used to it very quickly and with decent windows you’d barely hear it anyway. I’d buy beside a busy train line over a busy road any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

I grew up near the Limerick-Ennis Railway line. There were several trains a day.

I'm now in my late 50s and I still love the sound of trains. I still have to count the carriages, no matter where we are :) I love hearing the trains go by when I visit my Mum.

As others have said, you get used to the noise. I far prefer the sound of trains to the sound of motorbikes or bin trucks!!

In all fairness ..... its not like its going to be like the North Star Hotel. Like if you get the reference!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

TM2015 wrote: »

This is the correct and succinct answer to the original question posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

TM2015 wrote: »

It was a lot less. Not sure if the increase is temporary high demand?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was a lot less. Not sure if the increase is temporary high demand?

The Tara Mines train has been 6x - 3 both ways - for as long as I can remember. Because it holds me up if I drive in to work at the wrong time (at the other end).

Advertisement