Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem removing radiator

Options
  • 02-01-2021 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was trying to take a radiator off the wall and I've hit a bit of a snag. When I put the spanner around the large nut that connects the pipes to the rad, the whole unit moves. What I mean by that is, the nut and the pipe move at the same time in the same direction. I applied a bit of force to the spanner but i noticed that the pipe started to bend. I stopped as I feared snapping the pipe as it was bending quite a lot. Is there a way to get that nut loosened without the pipe moving and warping?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't fully understand what you are saying but for plumbing you always need two tools. One tool holds the fitting and stops it moving while the other tool loosens the nut. If you aren't using a 2nd tool then you can damage the pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Same thing happens on cars with build up and corrosion around pipe and nut on brake pipes.Can one put a blow torch on these to aid getting it loosened or a few taps on the nut with a hammer to help it shock release.

Not a plumber as asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't fully understand what you are saying but for plumbing you always need two tools. One tool holds the fitting and stops it moving while the other tool loosens the nut. If you aren't using a 2nd tool then you can damage the pipe

Yep that's the issue exactly. I didnt use anything to brace the pipe as I was trying to loosen the valve nut. This morning I got up and the carpet near the rad was wet. I'd done some damage to the pipe obviously. I tightened things up and the leak, for the most part stopped, but theres still "weeping" coming from the valve at the top. I'm gonna try get a new part tomorrow. I'm hoping it's a straight swap.

Advertisement