Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Probability Question

• 02-01-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to calculate the probability of getting a player I want in a football game I'm playing online (PES 2020)

There are three groups of players: black, gold and silver - the player I want is in the black group and it states there's a 20% chance of getting a black group player

The black group contains 14 players, but there's only one that I want - I make this a 7% chance of getting that player, if it's one from the black group

I want work out how to calculate the overall probability of getting that one player than I want - it's probably something obvious that I'm missing but any help would be appreciated

I hope I've explained everything properly but feel free to ask questions if there's something that needs to be clarified

Thanks

Comments

You have to multiply the probabilities so it'll be 0.2 * 1/14 so 1/70.
    (Assuming each player within a group is equally likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I have it as a 1.4% chance of getting the player that you want.

20% chance of getting a black group player (or 0.2)

14% chance of getting the player you want (or 0.071)

Therefore:

P(A and B) = P(A) × P(B)
    = 0.2 × 0.071
    = 0.0142
    = 1.42%

However, if you get more players per pack, or multiple players across different packs then it will change.

I think I have done that right, but if not, someone will hopefully correct it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

You have to multiply the probabilities so it'll be 0.2 * 1/14 so 1/70.
    (Assuming each player within a group is equally likely)

Ah sweet, I don't know if each player in the group is equally likely but I assume they are - thanks

Advertisement