Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking 3 cables through corrugated tin

Options
  • 02-01-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm putting up two mini led floodlights with extremal pir to illuminate a passageway.
    The light units are to be mounted on the side of a corrugated tin shed.
    The power is on the inside of the shed.

I've just realised that I will need to put 4 cables through the tin to get this working. 2 power cables, for the light, twin+e into pir and switched live back into the lights. I have some 3+e which I could use and that would reduce to 3 cables.

However, question remains - is there an easier way to get the cables through the tin without risk of cable wearing against tin Edge without need for 3 cable glands?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Hi.

I'm putting up two mini led floodlights with extremal pir to illuminate a passageway.
    The light units are to be mounted on the side of a corrugated tin shed.
    The power is on the inside of the shed.

I've just realised that I will need to put 4 cables through the tin to get this working. 2 power cables, for the light, twin+e into pir and switched live back into the lights. I have some 3+e which I could use and that would reduce to 3 cables.

However, question remains - is there an easier way to get the cables through the tin without risk of cable wearing against tin Edge without need for 3 cable glands?

Thanks.

Why so many cables

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Treseemme. wrote: »
    Why so many cables

Two separate led units to point each way down the passageway.
    Power into pir and the switched live from it to power the led units.

A single led pir is not able to illuminate full length and trigger on entry from either end. Brother got them and had asked me to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Run nymj 4 core.

I would be putting the cables in conduit so no chance of getting cut.

Just loop live from junction box to other light so you can have pir and switched.

Will all the cables be coming out through one hole?

Run nymj 4 core.

I would be putting the cables in conduit so no chance of getting cut.

Just loop live from junction box to other light so you can have pir and switched.

I was going to use some glands like attached to get the cables through the tin but was going there was another way to do it.

I was planning on continuing 2+e from existing light up to a new junction box. Pull light cables through into this box. 3+e from box out to the pir supplying power and bring back in the switched live. Connect all up in junction box.

I just don't have 3 glands at the minute and was wondering if there was another or better way to take the 2 power cables and the 3+e through the tin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just gland the cables as you conceived as it will reduce the need for a drip-loop and rust protection on the bare metal edge of the 'tin'. Use externally rated cable on any external runs for the UV protection. Flat T+E won't suffice, it's too easily nicked.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Just gland the cables as you conceived as it will reduce the need for a drip-loop and rust protection on the bare metal edge of the 'tin'. Use externally rated cable on any external runs for the UV protection. Flat T+E won't suffice, it's too easily nicked.

If the t+e is going through a gland there would be minimal chance of it getting nicked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Through the tin, yes, but it's not externally rated and it only has a single insulation sheath on the earth. "It should not be installed in areas where it could be subject to abrasion or blows without additional mechanical protection"
    CPC (T+E with the earth separately insulated) is the same.
    Plus it's a flat cable, so won't seal in the gland properly. Use NYM-J instead or SWA where it may be prone to being assaulted.
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/3CNYMJCBL.html?filter_set[]=4776,4777,4778,4948
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/3SWAAMCBL.html?filter_set[]=4776,4777,4778,4950

Advertisement