Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy To Let Bank Restrictions

Options
  • 02-01-2021 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering does anyone know do banks have a general restriction in place that people can only get a Buy-To-Let mortgage from them if there salary is +€50k? Seems to be the rule on banks I have called so far, this is despite my good savings record and having the extra deposit of 30% in the bank. I didnt experience these walls when I got my First Time Buyer Mortgage. (Note I am still paying back the First Time Buyer mortgage but this is mainly covered from tenants under the Rent a Room Scheme.) Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

The main restriction is the maximum LTV of 70% which you seem to meet. The issue after that is capacity to repay. Consider what happens if you have a long void period or a tenant not paying rent on a buy2let property. Could someone with a salary of less than 50k sustain repayments of their own home mortgage and a buy2let mortgage and still afford to live? The bank rules may be doing you a favour here and protecting you from yourself.

IMHO, leveraged buy2let in Ireland is simply too risky for an individual investor. A constant stream of anti-landlord legislation just increases risk over time. Congratulations on saving a large amount of money. Speak to a financial advisor on options to invest that money that provides better returns for less risk. Are your pension contributions maximised for example.

Advertisement