Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird with cold rads

Options
  • 01-01-2021 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I switched on the firebird in a property today that has been vacant for about 6 months following building works. Firebird came on straight away, circulation pump came on and ran but rads remain cold. I can hear circulation pump humming so I'm sure it's running. Building work was a refurb of ground floor including replacing two rads, one in kitchen, one in bathroom upstairs. Water had been turned off as property was vacant, only put back on as needed. Water was back on today before I ran the firebird.

Am I missing something obvious ?

Any and all advice welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

westgolf wrote: »
    Hi all, I switched on the firebird in a property today that has been vacant for about 6 months following building works. Firebird came on straight away, circulation pump came on and ran but rads remain cold. I can hear circulation pump humming so I'm sure it's running. Building work was a refurb of ground floor including replacing two rads, one in kitchen, one in bathroom upstairs. Water had been turned off as property was vacant, only put back on as needed. Water was back on today before I ran the firebird.

Am I missing something obvious ?

Any and all advice welcomed.

Airlocked? Did boiler burner fire up?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bleed the rads to see.

Is it water fed or pressure system?

Could a valve be turned off?

Is it firing for long or cutting out?

Check rads are turned on. System may need to be balanced depending if hear gets to them all....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

If pressurised system check system pressure > 1 bar. If open vented system check water level in small header tank in attic.
    Vent the circ pump (if possible) and the boiler by slowly turning the PRV (safety valve) red knob slowly anticlockwise until air/water.
    Do not run boiler until checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

holly8 wrote: »
    Airlocked? Did boiler burner fire up?

Boiler came on straight away no issue.

John.G wrote: »
    If pressurised system check system pressure > 1 bar. If open vented system check water level in small header tank in attic.
    Vent the circ pump (if possible) and the boiler by slowly turning the PRV (safety valve) red knob slowly anticlockwise until air/water.
    Do not run boiler until checked out.

Ok, will be back there today. No header tank in attic, just small cylinder type of yoke. Will check the pressure on that. Will also try the PRV valve. Did notice last evening that the output pipe from the boiler was hot to touch on section from edge of firebird to Circulation pump.

• Advertisement

Ok, will be back there today. No header tank in attic, just small cylinder type of yoke. Will check the pressure on that. Will also try the PRV valve. Did notice last evening that the output pipe from the boiler was hot to touch on section from edge of firebird to Circulation pump.

An update.. pressure Valve on attic cylinder was turned to zero (off) turned it back on steady at 2 bar now.

An update.. pressure Valve on attic cylinder was turned to zero (off) turned it back on steady at 2 bar now.

Update no. 2
    Pressure dropped down to about 1.5 bar after about 15 mins. Went back to firebird and spotted steam and a trickle of water from PRV Valve where it's fitted beside boiler. Looks like my valve or it's fitting is perished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

It will probably need renewing, just keep turning the red knob slowly anticlockwise to make the valve open and snap shut a few times it might just reseat it, worth a try anyhow.

John.G wrote: »
    It will probably need renewing, just keep turning the red knob slowly anticlockwise to make the valve open and snap shut a few times it might just reseat it, worth a try anyhow.

Thanks John G.
    It's a green twist valve, see pic, the trickle is from where the valve is "seated" in the pipe so I think that it's not sealed totally or the seal has failed ?

Can't post pic as boards saying too big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can't post pic as boards saying too big

If you don't have a resize app send to someone on WhatsApp and then use the pic from the WhatsApp images section. It will be resized and fit.

Great you got it working

Picture of valve

Advertisement