Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career advice / guidance

• 31-12-2020 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi I’m currently in 2nd year studying construction management.
    I wasn’t sure what to do with myself after doing the leaving cert & basically flipped a coin & took this course over doing a carpentry apprenticeship
    Lots of Cad/solidworks/revit on the course which I have no interest in,combining this my having to do it all at home by yourself watching recorded lectures makes me even have less interested.
    This time next year we’re only in college up until Christmas & then on placement to get site experience I really want to do mine in Australia and stay the summer aswell it’s all that keeps me going at the moment.More than likely I’ll just be doing general labouring for time 9 months which I do already outside of college but wouldn’t mind getting experience in concrete work just worried that I’ll probably go & not come back to finish the course..just wondering if anyone has any advice they could give me I really don’t want to end up with a job I have no interest in thanks (sorry for the rant)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Feets

U might end up liking one or two of your modules. Follow those through.

I feel your pain re college online, but work experience is great, working in a few companies shows you what u like or don't like,in reality. No harm in sticking college out, I feel what else would one do in your situation, it passes the time.
    What kind of work or company would u like for urself?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Bazzers

Feets wrote: »
    U might end up liking one or two of your modules. Follow those through.

I feel your pain re college online, but work experience is great, working in a few companies shows you what u like or don't like,in reality. No harm in sticking college out, I feel what else would one do in your situation, it passes the time.
    What kind of work or company would u like for urself?

I can finish after the level 7 or stay the extra year and do the level 8 I don’t know is it just the way life is at the minute with all the restrictions,but I’d love to get away even if I was just doing general labouring,minning or concrete work even if it was only for a year & then come back & do my final year.

I’m nearly 20 so I’m only young,I’d never sit all day on a laptop so I’d definitely be on site when I’d finish

Advertisement