Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ownstairs toilet level drops

Options
  • 31-12-2020 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Should be Downstairs toilet level drops, sorry cannot edit title

My downstairs toilet fills and comes up to the usual level in the bowl but then the level drops maybe three inches. Why would this be? It has been fine for ages the ballcock level is OK and it refills good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Interesting as mine might only drop an inch or so.Wonder if outlet pipe is partially blocked and when flushing upstairs loo a vacuum is in pipe and removes some water from bowl downstairs.

The outlet pipe on toilet is at an angle to hold a certain amount but with a vacuum in pipe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya id say it lack of vent or too far from vent and flows in the pipe are dragging some of the water from the toilet instead of being able to pull in air from vent pipe instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya id say it lack of vent or too far from vent and flows in the pipe are dragging some of the water from the toilet instead of being able to pull in air from vent pipe instead.
    how come it never happened before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

greasepalm wrote: »
    Interesting as mine might only drop an inch or so.Wonder if outlet pipe is partially blocked and when flushing upstairs loo a vacuum is in pipe and removes some water from bowl downstairs.

The outlet pipe on toilet is at an angle to hold a certain amount but with a vacuum in pipe ??
    i wondered if there was an upstairs connection. Upstairs works fine. How would i know if a vacuum is being created?

Check your sewage pipes as anything could be down there,toilet paper or foreign objects stuck and restricting free flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

A blockage can cause it. Takes a couple of flushes to build up enough water to clear it then it will syphon the bowl down a bit when it goes

Try a double flush upstairs and downstairs or bucket of water in downstairs with flush as more water = more shifting power.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

how come it never happened before

It could be your vent is blocked or near blocked.

Advertisement