Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden tank pump

Options
  • 31-12-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a pump to take water out of my garden tank (1300 litres) and into a pressure washer rather than running the washer off the mains.

Anybody done this before and recommend a pump?I'm not sure if I need a jet pump or a booster pump?

I need a min flow rate of 20lpm from the tank at 1.5-2.5 bar.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Anyone?
    I'm thining a small centrigfigal pump might work and then I control the pressure / flow by a valve downstream of the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Surely it would be easier to get a power washer that will suck the water from the storage tank.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Surely it would be easier to get a power washer that will suck the water from the storage tank.
    Yes but doesn't make them very portable then carting the tank around.

You dont have to bring the water with you.
    You run a hose from the tank to the washer.

https://youtu.be/va_O1SWEO_o?t=102

alan4cult wrote: »
    Yes but doesn't make them very portable then carting the tank around.

I don't understand what you're wanting to do tbh. My next door neighbour has petrol (extremely noisy) washer he got in Aldi, he runs it from a water barrel with the hose down in the water.

• Advertisement

I don't understand what you're wanting to do tbh. My next door neighbour has petrol (extremely noisy) washer he got in Aldi, he runs it from a water barrel with the hose down in the water.
    So there are two types of pressure washer, ones that suck and ones that require a a certain flow rate / pressure from mains or tank.

The ones that suck need to be 6ft or less from barrel so it's restrictive. The ones that don't however need a good flow but you can pump from a tank to meet this flow and not have the 6ft restriction.

You dont have to bring the water with you.
    You run a hose from the tank to the washer.

https://youtu.be/va_O1SWEO_o?t=102

This is only if the pressure washer has a suction function. Otherwise you need to supply the flow yourself which is what I'm trying to do with an extra pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

This is only if the pressure washer has a suction function. Otherwise you need to supply the flow yourself which is what I'm trying to do with an extra pump.

What you want is not as simple as it sounds any submercible pump can supply the flow you want but you need a switch probably a pressure switch that turns the submercible ump on and off when your pressure washer trigger is pulled . Just use the mains water if you want to persist with your current washer.

Ok, talking to a pump engineer the solution he recommends is to fit a large pressure vessel and a pump controller so that the pump can run for minimum 1 minute on each start and minimise wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Ok, talking to a pump engineer the solution he recommends is to fit a large pressure vessel and a pump controller so that the pump can run for minimum 1 minute on each start and minimise wear.

Same as for a domestic well. Did he say how much such a solution would cost you?

• Advertisement

What sort of pump did he recommend?

What sort of pump did he recommend?
    Just a standard centrifugal pump but needs to be self priming.
    Pressure vessel of about 20L but I'm going to go for a 50L

Yes same as a well pump but hopefully I will have the pump below my tank so I think this should help with the priming and air not getting in.

So pump and pressure vessel will live in the tank and the hose will come out over the side to the power washer, have I got it right? Any idea of costs for everything, electrics etc?

So pump and pressure vessel will live in the tank and the hose will come out over the side to the power washer, have I got it right? Any idea of costs for everything, electrics etc?
    Water will come out bottom of tank through a 1" outlet, from there to the inlet of the pump and on the outlet of the pump will be the pressure vessel and down from that the tap. A pressure controller switch to the pump will also be there.

I hope this will work. As you said above I need to minimise the pump starts so the pressure vessel should help here as if I close the tap then the water will head into the pressure vessel and when I open the tap the pressure vessel will start before the pump.

Might do a write up when I finish it.

Costs
    Tank €500
    Pump €200
    Vessel €100
    Controller €75
    Bits and pieces €100

I have the tank so hoping to do the rest for €500

Be interesting to see how it works out. If you put the tank up on a height would gravity flow to a suction type washer be sufficient? Maybe use as long a section of 1" hose as you can.

Advertisement