Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple One - Spotify v Apple Music query

Options
  • 31-12-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭

Been using Spotify for years and love it... but I see Apple are doing a thing called “Apple One” now where for €20 per month your “family of 6” can get:

Apply TV plus
    Apple Music
    Apple Arcade
    200 gig iCloud storage

Currently I pay for Apple Arcade for the kids, a family plan of Spotify and iCloud storage which comes to about €23 per month so for a cheaper price I’ll get all the above plus Apple TV plus.

It seems like a good deal to switch over but I’ve no idea anymore how good/bad Apple Music is and I feckin love Spotify - is there much of a difference?

I have people in different places in Ireland on my Spotify family plan - is this possible with Apple Music as well? Do Apple have their version of “Release Radar” “Discover Weekly” and “Daily Mix”?

More info on Apple One here - https://www.apple.com/ie/apple-one/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Been using Spotify for years and love it... but I see Apple are doing a thing called “Apple One” now where for €20 per month your “family of 6” can get:

Apply TV plus
    Apple Music
    Apple Arcade
    200 gig iCloud storage

Currently I pay for Apple Arcade for the kids, a family plan of Spotify and iCloud storage which comes to about €23 per month so for a cheaper price I’ll get all the above plus Apple TV plus.

It seems like a good deal to switch over but I’ve no idea anymore how good/bad Apple Music is and I feckin love Spotify - is there much of a difference?

I have people in different places in Ireland on my Spotify family plan - is this possible with Apple Music as well? Do Apple have their version of “Release Radar” “Discover Weekly” and “Daily Mix”?

Would be interested in joining a “family” if one is being created.

Yep +1 on Spotify it’s excellent

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

An apple family is totally different to a spotify family, not only do you share music, you also share your purchases along with icloud storage too, so I certainly wouldn't be sharing those things with strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

Aquos76 wrote: »
    An apple family is totally different to a spotify family, not only do you share music, you also share your purchases along with icloud storage too, so I certainly wouldn't be sharing those things with strangers.

I have used both and find Spotify far superior.
    I'm converted and dependent on Spotify and would not change from Spotify. I find it excellent

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Apply TV plus
    Apple Music
    Apple Arcade
    200 gig iCloud storage

When spotify released their 2020 stats for every user, I saw loads of tweets from apple music users saying they love features like you've mentioned for Apple music, so at a guess, Id say no. I got the new iphone pro max when it launched and got a 12 month sub to Apple TV, I haven't watched a single thing on there yet, I also have not availed of the free 3 months for arcade either. I do pay for the 200gb icloud alright.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Spotify is better than Apple Music, particularly if you listen to music on anything other than your phone / tablet.

I've tried it twice and both times came back to Spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Got 3 months free of Apple Music. Been trying to test it out. Just find myself going back to Spotify.
    I do find the sound quality better on Apple. Plus it’s nice the way they upload all your own music.

Prefer Spotify GUI. Playlists are much better. Plus it’s on everything. Can’t see myself getting Apple Music. Might get iTunes plus though again. Quality of my own music is better than Spotify. Bitrate is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I guess it depends really. Personally I use apple music. I was a spotify user for many years but switched over.

Spotify for a new user is easier to find music they like quickly. It's easier to build up playlists, find likewise artists etc... The interface is more user friendly I would say.

Discover Weekly playlists is a great plus for spotify. The apple listen now isn't quite up to the same standard although is good for new releases etc...

Apple has the larger catalogue and more exclusives but will 99.9% of people notice that? No.

I subscribe to apple music because it works right across everything I have and seamlessly. I've no idea what the android version of the player is like so can't comment. Moving from browser, to phone, to tv etc... is perfect. I love how it integrates into the music player on my phone rather than one app for onboard music and another for streaming. Also the integration with tunein gives me all my radio stations in the music app also. So that's another app gone. 3 into 1.

Lastly I do listen to the apple radio stations quite a bit.

The free platform on spotify is a bonus on that side mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JohnnyKq wrote: »
    I have used both and find Spotify far superior.
    I'm converted and dependent on Spotify and would not change from Spotify. I find it excellent
    awec wrote: »
    Spotify is better than Apple Music, particularly if you listen to music on anything other than your phone / tablet.

I've tried it twice and both times came back to Spotify.

I think Apple Music on iOS 14 is a good step up and it's debateable and subjective as to which is better.

I like the Apple interface, features such as Shazam integration.

Also like the suggestions it makes and I've become fan of lots of new music through it.

Also, for other devices it's on Amazon Echoes, and Airplay/Bliuetooth is option as well and also there's an Android app.

I also like Apple's radio stations which plays broad range of music and has good presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, for other devices it's on Amazon Echoes, and Airplay/Bliuetooth is option as well and also there's an Android app.

It’s pretty crap tbh. Spotify works far better plus the ability to select what echo or play on all is great with Spotify.

I’ve switched from Spotify to Apple Music about six months now and I’ve still yet to warm to it. Find Spotify easier to navigate. I’ll stick with it a bit longer as I’m fully in the Apple eco system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    When spotify released their 2020 stats for every user, I saw loads of tweets from apple music users saying they love features like you've mentioned for Apple music, so at a guess, Id say no. I got the new iphone pro max when it launched and got a 12 month sub to Apple TV, I haven't watched a single thing on there yet, I also have not availed of the free 3 months for arcade either. I do pay for the 200gb icloud alright.

Just on the Apple TV point, watch some of it ha ha

I got a year free with the Mac and didn’t watch a thing for ages then put on For All Mankind and loved it. Ended up having to subscribe to finish some of the shows, but Servant, Tiny world, the beastie boys story, home before dark, mythic quest, Central Park etc have been varying forms of great and I like the seamlessness between the Mac and the 4K box for the telly, I’ve watched close to no Netflix. It’s also kinda refreshing how it’s focused more on exclusive original content.

For the appleTV exclusive movies I’ve only watched Greyhound which I thought was a bit meh/boring but Wolfwalkers was fantastic.

Biggest surprise was Ted Lasso, every single thing points to it being utter ****e, like it has no right being anywhere near as good as it was, housemate put it on one night and we binged it over a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

shanec1928 wrote: »
    It’s pretty crap tbh. Spotify works far better plus the ability to select what echo or play on all is great with Spotify.

I’ve switched from Spotify to Apple Music about six months now and I’ve still yet to warm to it. Find Spotify easier to navigate. I’ll stick with it a bit longer as I’m fully in the Apple eco system

You can easily specify what echo to play on with Apple music on echo too. Not a problem.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Been using Spotify for as long as it's been out and every update I find it gets worse and worse.

It's not intuitive, pretty cluttered and the UI needs a massive overhaul.

I did give apple music a go but hated the selection available at the time. Will consider it again if I got a trial.

My big issue is I'm locked in a plan with my family so it's a nightmare to move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

" I got the new iphone pro max when it launched and got a 12 month sub to Apple TV, I haven't watched a single thing on there yet," - Is this some kind of boast? Because it seems a little weird to be saying I got all this free stuff and I'm happy to say I'm not availing of any of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The one thing that keeps me on Spotify is the suggested music. Spotify is FAR better than Apple Music at suggesting new bands / tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sounds brilliant though tbh Spotify I’d tops but getting the rest included seems good

must be lots of families of 4 with apple products

Advertisement