Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV issues

Options
  • 30-12-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi guys....not sure if this is in the right location but hopefully someone can help or give me a steer....this is a strange one...

TV developed a problem whereby it was just off and on every few seconds, in a loop. Assumed there was a problem with tv so rang LG customer case and they concluded that the board so gone...just what I need with 3 kids under 8 over Christmas!! But luckily we have a 2nd tv in the attic....

Here’s where it gets strange...plugged the 2nd tv in the same location as main tv and immediately, same problem....so quickly concluded that it’s not the tv, it’s the power supply....

But here’s the thing, we had an extension done a few years ago with the supply running off a separate board to the older part of the house. The TVs have the problem in the new part but not the old! But the 2nd tv seems to be ok off a different socket in the new extension but when I tried it previous it initially worked but the. Cut out after a while and returned to the loop! So main tv is working away in the older part of the house in the hall (just to give it a run to see that the tv itself was functioning properly). To complicate things even further when I tried the tv with an extension lead from the old to new part of the house, it cut out just when I had it nearly in place....my head is melted....

Does any of you have any ideas as to what is suddenly going on? Why does it only seem to be an issue with the TVs?

I’m trying to get in touch with the electrician who did the extension but I’m guessing he might be on a break from work which is obviously fair enough. But I’m hoping someone on here might be able to explain what might be going on if only to give my head a bit of peace!

Hope all are having a good Christmas all things considered....can we even wish each other a happy new year with the latest announcements...

Anyway, thanks in advance....

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Hi guys....not sure if this is in the right location but hopefully someone can help or give me a steer....this is a strange one...

TV developed a problem whereby it was just off and on every few seconds, in a loop. Assumed there was a problem with tv so rang LG customer case and they concluded that the board so gone...just what I need with 3 kids under 8 over Christmas!! But luckily we have a 2nd tv in the attic....

Here’s where it gets strange...plugged the 2nd tv in the same location as main tv and immediately, same problem....so quickly concluded that it’s not the tv, it’s the power supply....

But here’s the thing, we had an extension done a few years ago with the supply running off a separate board to the older part of the house. The TVs have the problem in the new part but not the old! But the 2nd tv seems to be ok off a different socket in the new extension but when I tried it previous it initially worked but the. Cut out after a while and returned to the loop! So main tv is working away in the older part of the house in the hall (just to give it a run to see that the tv itself was functioning properly). To complicate things even further when I tried the tv with an extension lead from the old to new part of the house, it cut out just when I had it nearly in place....my head is melted....

Does any of you have any ideas as to what is suddenly going on? Why does it only seem to be an issue with the TVs?

I’m trying to get in touch with the electrician who did the extension but I’m guessing he might be on a break from work which is obviously fair enough. But I’m hoping someone on here might be able to explain what might be going on if only to give my head a bit of peace!

Hope all are having a good Christmas all things considered....can we even wish each other a happy new year with the latest announcements...

Do you have any problems with other electronic appliances in the new part of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭meercat

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere on the circuit. Is it a twin socket where the tv is plugged into. If so then plug a lamp in also and if this flickers also then it’s most likely the circuit fault. It could be a voltage drop too but that’d be harder for you to identify without equipment. A rec should be able to identify the issues for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Probably check a few things

Replace socket

Check voltage drop at outlet

You can do all the above DIY with a kettle and socket

Check L-N loop impedance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

meercat wrote: »
    Sounds like a loose connection somewhere on the circuit. Is it a twin socket where the tv is plugged into. If so then plug a lamp in also and if this flickers also then it’s most likely the circuit fault. It could be a voltage drop too but that’d be harder for you to identify without equipment. A rec should be able to identify the issues for you

Thanks for the reply....yes it’s a twin socket....don’t seem to have a problem with other devices plugged into the sockets in the extension....tried a lamp there and no obvious issue....issue seems to be confined to the extension sockets (tried a few plugs in the area) but what’s thrown me is why it didn’t work off the extension lead running from the socket that the tv is working off now properly while plugged directly in.....

aido79 wrote: »
    Do you have any problems with other electronic appliances in the new part of the house?

Not that we’ve noticed no....just the TVs and just from today....

• Advertisement

Treseemme. wrote: »
    Probably check a few things

Replace socket

Check voltage drop at outlet

You can do all the above DIY with a kettle and socket

Check L-N loop impedance

Seems to be an issue with sockets within newish extension so I’m concerned it could be a bigger issue.....but then why is it just the TVs? Hence the head melting....

Seems to be an issue with sockets within newish extension so I’m concerned it could be a bigger issue.....but then why is it just the TVs? Hence the head melting....

The local tests (at the socket )will probably show up a bigger issue like supply problems or distribution board problems

The local tests (at the socket )will probably show up a bigger issue like supply problems or distribution board problems

By local test, you mean plugging the lamp in? Lamp is fine anyway....

The lamp with something like a kettle or heater and see if the lamp dips

Incandescent bulb though not led

I’d still say it’s a loose connection somewhere on the circuit and not necessarily the one the Tv is plugged into

Find the circuit tripswitch and turn it off
    Check every socket in the house including original house
    Determine which ones are off
    Turn tripswitch back on and plug tv into the identified sockets one by one starting nearest the distribution board
    When you come to the socket that your tv starts cycling on and off then that’s most likely the problem one (although it could be the previous one)
    Check for loose connection

• Advertisement

Not that we’ve noticed no....just the TVs and just from today....

Try unplugging the aerial and see if it still happens.

Try unplugging the aerial and see if it still happens.

No aerial attached....tried it at various location without any inputs plugged in....

meercat wrote: »
    I’d still say it’s a loose connection somewhere on the circuit and not necessarily the one the Tv is plugged into

Find the circuit tripswitch and turn it off
    Check every socket in the house including original house
    Determine which ones are off
    Turn tripswitch back on and plug tv into the identified sockets one by one starting nearest the distribution board
    When you come to the socket that your tv starts cycling on and off then that’s most likely the problem one (although it could be the previous one)
    Check for loose connection

I’ll give that a go thanks....but my ultimate confusion is, if there was a problem with a circuit, eg a loose connection, why would it seemingly only be a problem for the TV? And why only now?

The lamp with something like a kettle or heater and see if the lamp dips

Incandescent bulb though not led

So use a lamp but while there is a kettle or heater going at the same time somewhere?

I’ll give that a go thanks....but my ultimate confusion is, if there was a problem with a circuit, eg a loose connection, why would it seemingly only be a problem for the TV? And why only now?

Might be more susceptible to drop in voltage for a minuscule timeframe

You might be only seeing it because the TV is more sensitive. Try checking with other electronic devices such as a phone charger or a laptop or anything with a transformer in it rather than electrical devices such as lamps and heaters.
    The problem is most likely to be a loose connection either at the fuseboard or at a socket.

You might be only seeing it because the TV is more sensitive. Try checking with other electronic devices such as a phone charger or a laptop or anything with a transformer in it rather than electrical devices such as lamps and heaters.
    The problem is most likely to be a loose connection either at the fuseboard or at a socket.

Ok that makes a bit of sense.....I assume a decent electrician would be able to find any problem quite easily?

Ok that makes a bit of sense.....I assume a decent electrician would be able to find any problem quite easily?

Yes it shouldn't be too difficult for an electrician to figure it out. How many socket circuits are in the new part of the house?

Yes it shouldn't be too difficult for an electrician to figure it out. How many socket circuits are in the new part of the house?

There’s about 9 in the living kitchen area and another couple in the utility plus a power block thingy in the island...i think there’s 3 circuits on the cb board to cover them....

There’s about 9 in the living kitchen area and another couple in the utility plus a power block thingy in the island...i think there’s 3 circuits on the cb board to cover them....

Turn off the circuit breaker for the socket which is faulty. Leave it off and plug the tv into a socket on one of the other circuits and see if the tv works properly.

• Advertisement

Turn off the circuit breaker for the socket which is faulty. Leave it off and plug the tv into a socket on one of the other circuits and see if the tv works properly.

Tv was working fine all evening in the hall but doesn’t work on any of the plugs i tried in the extension which is on a different board....

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

Have you considered that the TV might be picking up a signal to switch Off and On?
    Does it have a normal infra-red remote or something fancier like bluetooth? If infra-red, have you tried blocking the sensor?
    Just a thought - it may not be a mains problem at all especially since you say an extension lead shows the same issue.

MenloPete wrote: »
    Have you considered that the TV might be picking up a signal to switch Off and On?
    Does it have a normal infra-red remote or something fancier like bluetooth? If infra-red, have you tried blocking the sensor?
    Just a thought - it may not be a mains problem at all especially since you say an extension lead shows the same issue.

That’s an interesting theory alright....tv works fine though in hall....are u thinking that another remote is causing an issue? Other tv having same problem too though.....how would I check? Open to suggestions....

Tv was working fine all evening in the hall but doesn’t work on any of the plugs i tried in the extension which is on a different board....

And you said there are 3 socket circuits on that board? I'm suggesting you find out if one of the circuits are faulty or if they are all faulty. If all of circuits are faulty it might be a loose connection in the RCD.

That’s an interesting theory alright....tv works fine though in hall....are u thinking that another remote is causing an issue? Other tv having same problem too though.....how would I check? Open to suggestions....

Like I said if it uses a normal infra-red sensor you can block that by putting something in front of the sensor on the TV. Anything in the room could be emitting infra-red, (christmas decorations?) though it's highly unlikely it would have the same effect if your two TVs are from different manufacturers.

MenloPete wrote: »
    Like I said if it uses a normal infra-red sensor you can block that by putting something in front of the sensor on the TV. Anything in the room could be emitting infra-red, (christmas decorations?) though it's highly unlikely it would have the same effect if your two TVs are from different manufacturers.

And the winner is......big shout out to MenloPete on thinking outside the box on this one.....problem solved....so basically I just put away all the remotes and plugged the tv in it’s usual position and low and behold, no issue...so concluded that there must be something in this....immediately the prime suspect was the fire stick remote as what I noticed recently is that the tv remote controls the fire stick also....so took out the fire stick one and boom, problem back....so I simply changed the batteries and problem solved so I’m guessing the batteries needed replacing and whatever that did to its functioning it was sending a repeat signal to the tv (which I now realise can be used on the tv also as well as fire stick)......christmas is saved!!! When I think back, it does make sense as the reason the TVs were working in the older part of the downstairs was simply because the fire stick remote was located on the extension. Remember when I said I rang an extension from old to new and while moving the tv into the extension it suddenly turned off and on again even though plugged into the old part of the house? Yep, makes sense now....

I was that close to calling an electrician.....many thanks to all who took the time to reply....big relief....happy new year all....

Great! :D

Advertisement