Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Self install

Options
  • 30-12-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I have a solar setup for a few years. At the moment it's small scale; ~ 600W mono panels into my garage, MPPT CC, 200Ah AGM and inverter to run any required AC stuff. Recently I got a few commercial lads out to quote me to hook up the house and the price was ridiculous, so I am thinking of doing it myself.

I have a lot of land around me and the obvious setup is a ground mount, for somewhere between 4.2Kw - 6.0Kw to start. The only part that worries me - and the part that I want to get right - is the hook up to the grid. Does anyone know how I can get this done in a certified way without going via the Solar installers? Will any electrician do this? I will want it to be signed off and safe.

Any suggestions?

I don't see any problem with building and connecting the array myself along with the battery setup. It's the final part into the grid that concerns me.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have a Trannergy 3400 invertor if it’s any use to
    You?

Was gona put up to sell in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I self installed, and got an electrician to wire the inverter to the consumer unit for €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

gman2k wrote: »
    I self installed, and got an electrician to wire the inverter to the consumer unit for €60.

Could you provide any guide or pointers?
    I've been researching this for ages and all I an find is US and some UK guides.
    Nothing Irish.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What are you building your ground mount out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Diemos wrote: »
    Nothing Irish.
    Cheers

Your best bet is to visit someone's installation, and see how it's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Was this OK by SEAI to receive the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Was this OK by SEAI to receive the grant?

You need an SEAI registered installer to get the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Diemos wrote: »
    Nothing Irish.
    Cheers

You won't find anything for Ireland, you need an electrician to do basically anything here so there's no reason to post information for DIY systems

UK has the concept of domestic installers which is basically a lite electrician qualification, so there's more info for DIY users out there. As far as I can tell as lot of the regulations are the same (for the moment) and typically the regs seems to concern the connection between the inverter and the house/grid

I'm hoping to install a system in a few years and my plan is to get the panels installed and wires ran to utility room. I'll mount the inverter, mppt and batteries and wire that up, then hopefully get an electrician to wire up the connection to the house

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

What are you building your ground mount out of?

I haven't decided yet. There are some commercial ground mounts around but I self built the ones on the wall I have already and they've survived many a red warning storm so was thinking of going the same way on the ground too.

Is this OK insurance wise? I mean if something happened how would the insurance react. Same question really for building the array, laying the cable and running it to the main breaker. Anyone know how this would look insurance wise if something did go b@lls up later down the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Having a PV inverter connected by a qualified electrician is no different to having any other appliance installed from any insurance angle I can think of.

Advertisement