Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Beeny's new life in the country.

Options
  • 30-12-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch this on Channel 4. ? I admire them for putting the whole family on the box in their move to Somerset. They drew flak from social media for being indulgent in a time of Covid but that wasn't their fault.
    But the house !:eek: I honestly though it was more French Chateau than Georgian England. The structure was passable but what were those two unfinished extensions doing stuck on to the sides of the house.? I think Graham had a Stevie Wonder moment when he drew those up.
    If I had their money I would have used an actual architect :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I watched the first 3 episodes but got bored with it. It seemed to be focused entirely on ‘what to do to entertain the kids today ‘ Sarah comes across as not being keen on the move either. I liked her in previous programs that focused on building renovation but watching a city family ‘rough’ it in the country just annoys me. Oh look lambs so cute/let’s make our own cheese! Let’s get hens free eggs!
    Why don’t programs show some of the reality of any farming enterprise ...cute lambs- try the smell of a dead lamb just born it’s hoffific. Hens? Why bother keeping them it’s easier and cheaper to just go to supermarket unless there having them for breakfast lunch and dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

E mac wrote: »
    I watched the first 3 episodes but got bored with it. It seemed to be focused entirely on ‘what to do to entertain the kids today ‘ Sarah comes across as not being keen on the move either. I liked her in previous programs that focused on building renovation but watching a city family ‘rough’ it in the country just annoys me. Oh look lambs so cute/let’s make our own cheese! Let’s get hens free eggs!
    Why don’t programs show some of the reality of any farming enterprise ...cute lambs- try the smell of a dead lamb just born it’s hoffific. Hens? Why bother keeping them it’s easier and cheaper to just go to supermarket unless there having them for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I was wondering if anybody else had watched it. :rolleyes: I agree, the main theme was moving a family to the country but I found building the house more interesting. I don't think this sophisticated London couple are going to start off farm enterprises somehow. It was padding for the programme and a chance to get the boys on screen
    Sarah always seemed to me to be a savvy property developer and this felt like she was capitulating to the wishes of her husband, Graham. ? He has remarkably conservative tastes for a guy his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Are there any more episodes scheduled on channel 4?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

recipio wrote: »
    I was wondering if anybody else had watched it. :rolleyes: I agree, the main theme was moving a family to the country but I found building the house more interesting. I don't think this sophisticated London couple are going to start off farm enterprises somehow. It was padding for the programme and a chance to get the boys on screen
    Sarah always seemed to me to be a savvy property developer and this felt like she was capitulating to the wishes of her husband, Graham. ? He has remarkably conservative tastes for a guy his age.

Do you get the feeling there gonna be doing a show couple years from now when the boys are gone to college etc and Sarah and Graham downsize and move back to the city..also Grahams art seems to be pictures of himself bit weird😳

Do you get the feeling there gonna be doing a show couple years from now when the boys are gone to college etc and Sarah and Graham downsize and move back to the city..also Grahams art seems to be pictures of himself bit weird😳

Ha Ha. Graham tells us he grew up in Tipperary but that's a home counties accent if I'm any judge. They are into doing up houses and flogging them ( remember the programmes on 'Rise Hall' a few years ago ) so I wouldn't be surprised if they trade up when the boys have fled the nest.
    The house is unremarkable - there is something odd about the proportions and Mansard roofs are very French. Heating is with traditional radiators - I'd love to know the reason for not using underfloor heating etc. That's the frustrating thing about property build programmes - we get the human story but not much about the technical details.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ya I agree I'd be more interested in the technical side of things too but programs like this hardly ever criticise a product or way of doing things. The foam?/aeroboard? Bricks used to construct the walls for instance gets a great promo in this however I know someone (doesn't everyone!) who has experience in this product and there are drawbacks no cavity/ has to be 100% sealed etc..I accept though that Sarah's prob getting a discount so can't knock the product.

Ya I agree I'd be more interested in the technical side of things too but programs like this hardly ever criticise a product or way of doing things. The foam?/aeroboard? Bricks used to construct the walls for instance gets a great promo in this however I know someone (doesn't everyone!) who has experience in this product and there are drawbacks no cavity/ has to be 100% sealed etc..I accept though that Sarah's prob getting a discount so can't knock the product.

ICF ( Insulated Concrete Form ) looks like an interesting build method - I'd consider it if I were building again. However I think Graham would have benefited from the help of an Architect.Those two unfinished structures stuck on the sides of the house completely spoil the design if you ask me.:rolleyes:

Advertisement