Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify property boundary?

Options
  • 30-12-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in a property however the boundary is not clear at all and looks like some of the garden may belong to the neighbour.

I had a look on LandDirect and although some properties have their boundaries marked, they say that these are not conclusive.

So, how does one conclusively identify a property boundary before purchasing?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Engage a surveyor to study all available maps, planning documents and land registers maps.

Then on the ground agree boundaries with all adjoining land owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Gumbo wrote: »
    Engage a surveyor to study all available maps, planning documents and land registers maps.

Then on the ground agree boundaries with all adjoining land owners.

Agree with all of Gumbo. If it turns out the boundaries on the ground don’t match the land registry folio file plan map, then a deed of rectification may be carried out if all parties would be in an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The original map (instrument) should be gotten from land registry and sent to the vendor's solicitor. If that matches what's on the ground and it's the current land direct map that's incorrect then it's a fairly straightforward fix. Mistakes are common from when the maps were digitised. Failing that you will need an engineer to conduct a survey and the agreement of the neighbours to rectify the boundary. All in all you can expect it to add huge delays to a sale. It can take 6-8 weeks pre-covid to get the original map alone. Land registry write to affected parties (i.e. the neighbour) so that takes time too.

Advertisement