Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children names: Fair dues to Tiger Woods

Options
  • 30-12-2020 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

I see that Tiger Woods's son Charlie is a good golfer. Not too surprising, I suppose, but I was so happy to see that he had been given a "normal" name, as was Tiger's daughter (with Elin Nordegren), Sam. The greatest golfer of all time didn't follow the celebrity path and give his children "unique" names.

My question is: are there people on here who think that ordinary people/celebs should give their children outrageous/unique names so that they will be remembered or should they give them ordinary names that they can then rise from them?

The reason I ask is that there was a boy in my secondary school class called Merlin and I always felt sorry for him that he was under extreme pressure to be something extraordinary. He could never "just" be a guard/teacher/accountant with a name like Merlin. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Please tell me merlin is the owner of Merlin Car Auctions.
    Cos if it is, he's gone Big time baby, big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Is tiger a run of the mil name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is tiger a run of the mil name?

Its a nickname. His real name is Eldrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Not every celebrity gives their children wierd names.

I would say 99% of them don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

dobman88 wrote: »
    Its a nickname. His real name is Eldrick
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When trying to create a super race of people you need to give them names beginning with the first 10 letters of the alphabet, anything else and they will be overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Panthro wrote: »
    Please tell me merlin is the owner of Merlin Car Auctions.
    Cos if it is, he's gone Big time baby, big time.

I have no idea what became of him!

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with Ed Sheeran (who I took to be a pretty ordinary guy) calling his baby Antartica. That name is fine if she turns out to be a "creative" but supposing she turns out to be a chiropodist/postperson?

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Not every celebrity gives their children wierd names.

I would say 99% of them don't.

I never said they gave their children "weird" names, they give them "unique" names and it's a LOT more than 1%!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Why would anyone be the least bit concerned by what a stranger names their child?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why would anyone be the least bit concerned by what a stranger names their child?

No but if they choose a double barreled surname they should be restricted in ever forming a relationship with another double barreller.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unique vs not is culturally loaded.

In Ireland, calling a kid Chuck would be unusual.

Anywhere else, calling a kid Niamh, Nuala or Oisin would be unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I have no idea what became of him!

He's disappeared :)

Advertisement