Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media needs to bring back ITV/UTV

Options
  • 29-12-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

Bought both the Radio Times and RTE Guide this christmas

Radio Times had a Billy Connolly special listed as being on ITV yesterday, couldn't watch it as it was on ITV which was never bought back to Virgin Media after UTV Ireland flopped. Same thing tonight, Wonder Woman is on ITV but can't watch it

I don't want to wait months until the Billy Connolly special airs on one of the Virgin Media channels, there's no guarantee that it will even air on them in the first place

I don't want to wait months until ITV programmes air on Virgin Media, I want to watch them when they originally air

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

Demonique wrote: »
    Bought both the Radio Times and RTE Guide this christmas

Radio Times had a Billy Connolly special listed as being on ITV yesterday, couldn't watch it as it was on ITV which was never bought back to Virgin Media after UTV Ireland flopped. Same thing tonight, Wonder Woman is on ITV but can't watch it

I don't want to wait months until the Billy Connolly special airs on one of the Virgin Media channels, there's no guarantee that it will even air on them in the first place

I don't want to wait months until ITV programmes air on Virgin Media, I want to watch them when they originally air

Not sure what platform you are on but with SKY you can manually tune in certain other channels, some of which are ITV & UTV.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057882500

http://irishlinks.co.uk/sky-satellite-tv-ireland.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Go Freesat and you get the Channel 5 stuff too.

https://ukfree.tv/channels/all/Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

its quiet easy to add in extra channel,s , itv, 1.,
    bbc scotland,wales , etc itv 1 is broadcast on the sky satellite.
    if you have a sky satellite reciever,
    you dont have to have a sky subscription to watch ,itv,bbc, and a lot of uk tv channels on any old sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

+1

Paying Virgin media for stuff broadcast for free is ridiculous.
    I got a sat dish installed and bought 2 alien amiko 2 triple tuner sat boxes about 6 or 7 years ago and they've paid for themselves many times over by now.

Never paid for TV since, and can easily supplement it with Netflix, YouTube and even the free All4 streaming service which is not geoblocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yes indeed, or 'Free to Air' which is similar to Freesat.

Zero monthly charges, just the initial outlay for a sky dish, then a Combo box for €50 and you have every conceivable ITV region including ITVHD, with UTV Ulster, ITV London, Wales, West country, Scotland + many other ITV variations, all for free & totally legal.

Virgin Media sounds like a cheap ITV rip-off.

Apologies if it's not possible for you to erect a dish, maybe your location prohibits you, in which case I can only sympathise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Am I the only person with saorview who didn't notice that itv/utv is gone?

Poor you, only having the local stations :(

I think you mean, "the poverty channels".

That's virgin on the ridiculous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think you mean, "the poverty channels".

Or that channels for people who want the tv on in the background rather than actually enjoying tv shows.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Or that channels for people who want the tv on in the background rather than actually enjoying tv shows.

I rarely watch terrestrial TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Anyway, VM1 is showing the Billy Connolly special several times over the next few days, including Saturday night.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes indeed, or 'Free to Air' which is similar to Freesat.

Zero monthly charges, just the initial outlay for a sky dish, then a Combo box for €50
    Combo box is only really useful for live TV ;)

For recording and EPG , Saorview TV + USB memory stick and a Genuine Freesat box work well though you'll have to buy in the UK.

Or get a Linux box if you want an EPG with both Irish and UK channels.

Virgin Media sounds like a cheap ITV rip-off.
    Most of the content is on FreeSat in HD and usually a lot earlier. How much of their original content is eligible for the BAI sound and vision fund ??

Red Rock was shown in HD on Channel 5, like how you have to watch TG4 docs on RTE or BBC if you want to see them in HD without having to pay for a subscription and them pay again to upgrade that subscription.

At one point UTV used to get 30% of it's advertising from down here and that was almost all through Cablelink/NTL/Virgin TV and SKY. So there's a motive.

And yes I do hold a grudge for TV3 as was for hobbling HD transmissions in this country and for Virgin and TG4 for not spending a few shekels more on carriage costs.

BTW SKY are dropping some low rent channels blaming Brexit. Are Virgin doing the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

Freesat and Saorview definitely the way to go. No complaints - all the channels I want and no bills. VM very very poor value for money in my personal view.

Combo box is only really useful for live TV ;)

For recording and EPG , Saorview TV + USB memory stick and a Genuine Freesat box work well though you'll have to buy in the UK.

I have a 1TB HDD plugged into my FTA Combo box, so I can record to my heart's content :)

Freesat or Free To Air is Great . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Freesat and Saorview definitely the way to go. No complaints - all the channels I want and no bills. VM very very poor value for money in my personal view.
    The parents have this, and I think it's comparable to the VM package I'm paying through the nose for. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and can't put up a dish. Anyone know if you can get a communal dish on an apartment block?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Also ditched Sky in last year, far too expensive.

Got a satellite receiver box connected up to Sky cables and got all UK FTA channels. Added Saorview antenna for Saorview.

Also got a "dodgy" IPTV service for premium stuff.

Also subscribe to Netflix Prime Video and Disney so I'm happy. You Tube is a great source as well.
    Total outlay for box and Saorview was about €150 and that's it. I was paying €120 a month for Sky and realised I was hardly watching any of the channels.

Find myself watching mostly internet driven stuff, and hardly ever watch scheduled terrestrial TV.

Just no real need these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Watching Mrs wonder fanny is no reason to subject us to ITV. Piers Morgan and sh1t faaaaaaaaaack off

itv and otheruk channels bbc 1,2,4, ,c4, c5 can be viewed live on a certain website
    on any pc or laptop, or phone that has internet acess .
    i won,t put in a link cos i,m not sure if it would be against the rules on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andromeda76

riclad wrote: »
    itv and otheruk channels bbc 1,2,4, ,c4, c5 can be viewed live on a certain website
    on any pc or laptop, or phone that has internet acess .
    i won,t put in a link cos i,m not sure if it would be against the rules on boards.ie

Can't you at least give us some sort of hint to the website without posting a link. I would be very interested. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement