Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker switch

Options
  • 29-12-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

The cooker stopped worked. It’s a separate electric oven and hob and basically when I turn on the switch on the wall for the cooker it lights up as normal, but as soon as the hob or oven is turned on the light goes out and obviously the cooker/hob doesn’t work. Same thing happens when turning on both.

I’m finding it hard to get someone to look at it until next week, it’s in an apartment we’ve rented out. I’m just wondering is there any basics I could check?

I’d be fairly good with this type of stuff at the same time I wouldn’t go nearly anything electrical usually.

The fact the cooker and hob are separate leads me to think that it could be a faulty switch on the wall?

I’m just wondering if there’s any basics I can do to rule out a simple fault rather than waiting until next week. Thanks for the help in adavance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭meercat

L-M wrote: »
    The cooker stopped worked. It’s a separate electric oven and hob and basically when I turn on the switch on the wall for the cooker it lights up as normal, but as soon as the hob or oven is turned on the light goes out and obviously the cooker/hob doesn’t work. Same thing happens when turning on both.

I’m finding it hard to get someone to look at it until next week, it’s in an apartment we’ve rented out. I’m just wondering is there any basics I could check?

I’d be fairly good with this type of stuff at the same time I wouldn’t go nearly anything electrical usually.

The fact the cooker and hob are separate leads me to think that it could be a faulty switch on the wall?

I’m just wondering if there’s any basics I can do to rule out a simple fault rather than waiting until next week. Thanks for the help in adavance

Sounds like a loose neutral or burnt cable most likely at the cooker switch. Replace it with a new one and ensure connections are tight

Turn power off before doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

meercat wrote: »
    Sounds like a loose neutral or burnt cable most likely at the cooker switch. Replace it with a new one and ensure connections are tight

Thanks. I assumed it was the switch considering both the separate hob and cooker stopped working

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

meercat wrote: »

Fixed that in 10 mins. Thanks a mill.

Advertisement