Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roblox V Minecraft

Options
  • 29-12-2020 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

My 7 year old has been asking to play these games for the guts of a year as loads of his school friends do. Up to now we have said no. Starting to do a bit of research into them now as I feel the more we say no the more he wants them! Any opinions? I think I have a real old school opinion and would rather avoid computer games altogether but I know thats not gonna last!

Comments

I do not know either well. But I think Roblox has more of a potential to be a "chat room" where they can meet trolls pervs and other bad characters. So I would err towards Minecraft maybe. But there is a computer gaming forum on boards - maybe users there know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I do not know either well. But I think Roblox has more of a potential to be a "chat room" where they can meet trolls pervs and other bad characters. So I would err towards Minecraft maybe. But there is a computer gaming forum on boards - maybe users there know more?

If you don't allow multiplayer in Mincecraft it's fine. Same with Roblox. I setup the account and disabled all chat, friend requests. You can still see the other player characters but there is no direct interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Minecraft is a standalone game

Roblox is a hosting site for other games. So your child will just play Minecraft on Minecraft but has the potential to play hundreds of games on Roblox.

Minecraft is easier to control, Roblox not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My son has been playing minecraft regularly since the summer. No issues with it really. Keeps him entertained. Tends to lookup videos on YouTube for further ideas on how to do things.

But with any game really, your kid just needs to know enough is enough when you ask them to put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Look up parental controls if you decide to allow Roblox. Use them. Know more about the game than your child. Keep up to date. Online games that children play at home can cause problems & spill over into school friendships etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Thanks for replies. Went with minecraft!

Advertisement