Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, cash buyers - questions

Options
  • 29-12-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

We've put down a booking deposit on a new build home in Munster. It's a small phase within an existing estate - approximately 7 houses being built. We'll be cash buyers. Wondering if anyone can answer some questions (I'll ask the EA in the new year but just curious now).

1. Would being cash buyers give us any power in terms of making changes? E.g. getting underfloor heating installed downstairs rather than radiators, placement of sockets, putting in shelves rather than an integrated fridge etc?

2. If we could get underfloor heating, it would change our whole approach to the kitchen and we'd want lots of extra units put in to increase counter space. Could we agree for this to be done with the builders at our own cost?

3. The build includes kitchen appliances. I am a keen cook and have high standards so want to pick out my own hob and oven. Are we likely to be given a budget instead that we can use for our own appliance purchases rather than generic appliances?

4. The build is scheduled to be completed in April 2021. The foundations are laid and the brickwork is happening right now. When could we expect to move in (i know that's a 'how long is a piece of strong' question)? We're in a rental property with a lease due to extend at the end of March and our landlord wants the house back. We could probably extend for a month, maybe 2, but any longer and we'd need to make alternative arrangements.

5. We'll obviously need flooring, painting, skirting boards etc. Is it possible we can arrange for the builders to do all that at our cost?

Basically, how can we get as much done as conveniently as possible before we move in?!

THanks for any help you can provide. Haven't bought a new build before so it's all new to us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

All your questions can really be answered with depends I'm afraid. Last new build I was involved in buying the builders would not make any changes but then we weren't a) offering more money - which I assume you are and b) it was a much larger development.

If there is a queue out the door to buy then they're unlikely to accommodate changes I'd say. They'll also be getting the appliances at a huge discount so don't expect much of a budget if they do go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Buying cash usually does not bring anything for new builds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

taco.cato wrote: »
    Hi,

We've put down a booking deposit on a new build home in Munster. It's a small phase within an existing estate - approximately 7 houses being built. We'll be cash buyers. Wondering if anyone can answer some questions (I'll ask the EA in the new year but just curious now).

1. Would being cash buyers give us any power in terms of making changes? E.g. getting underfloor heating installed downstairs rather than radiators, placement of sockets, putting in shelves rather than an integrated fridge etc?

2. If we could get underfloor heating, it would change our whole approach to the kitchen and we'd want lots of extra units put in to increase counter space. Could we agree for this to be done with the builders at our own cost?

3. The build includes kitchen appliances. I am a keen cook and have high standards so want to pick out my own hob and oven. Are we likely to be given a budget instead that we can use for our own appliance purchases rather than generic appliances?

4. The build is scheduled to be completed in April 2021. The foundations are laid and the brickwork is happening right now. When could we expect to move in (i know that's a 'how long is a piece of strong' question)? We're in a rental property with a lease due to extend at the end of March and our landlord wants the house back. We could probably extend for a month, maybe 2, but any longer and we'd need to make alternative arrangements.

5. We'll obviously need flooring, painting, skirting boards etc. Is it possible we can arrange for the builders to do all that at our cost?

Basically, how can we get as much done as conveniently as possible before we move in?!

THanks for any help you can provide. Haven't bought a new build before so it's all new to us.

1. UFH is a major redesign. It would need to be deceived very early on as it effects the sub floor build up, slab level, screed and access. It’s not something you can add now if you can see the founds for your house.

2. Possibly. But again depends on above. In small schemes it’s easier to get changes than in large developments.

3. Generally no. The best they will do is not connect up the appliances that they have on offer. I’ve seen this done before and the home owner simply sold off every applicable still in their wrappers. I actually bought a cube dishwasher from them at the time.

4. This to me would mean your underfloor hearing is out of the question at this stage. Is budget for May.

5. You can ask each individual trade. Most builders won’t get involved due to liability of the items.

All of the above is my experience. Of course nobody here knows exactly what your builder will say so all you can do is ask.

Advertisement