Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuses blowing on different tools

Options
  • 29-12-2020 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi All,

Recently got a dust collector with auto start, so plug the table saw into the extractor and when you flip on the table saw the extractor starts up.

Worked fine for a week now it keeps blowing fuses. But sometimes it blows the fuse in the dust collector and other times it blows it in the table saw? Also the feed to my garage has a extension on it (with only the feed to the table saw/extractor) and that blows a fuse sometimes as well.(think the lights are in that circuit as well). So I'm going to get a second circuit out there anyway, but have no idea why different fuses keep blowing. the main fuse in the house never blows.

The Table saw is about 2200w (3hp)and the extractor is 1100w (1.5hp)! The Extractor is rated for 2200w.

Any idea what's going on?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Luxxis wrote: »
    Hi All,

Recently got a dust collector with auto start, so plug the table saw into the extractor and when you flip on the table saw the extractor starts up.

Worked fine for a week now it keeps blowing fuses. But sometimes it blows the fuse in the dust collector and other times it blows it in the table saw? Also the feed to my garage has a extension on it (with only the feed to the table saw/extractor) and that blows a fuse sometimes as well.(think the lights are in that circuit as well). So I'm going to get a second circuit out there anyway, but have no idea why different fuses keep blowing. the main fuse in the house never blows.

The Table saw is about 2200w (3hp)and the extractor is 1100w (1.5hp)! The Extractor is rated for 2200w.

Any idea what's going on?

thanks

What's the rating of the fuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Luxxis

aido79 wrote: »
    What's the rating of the fuses?

13 amps in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Inductive loads have high current spikes.
    If the saw is 2200W, it probably exceeds 13A getting up to speed.
    If the saw is daisy chained to the extractor, then both would probably blow the fuse (were talking about the fuse in the plug right?)

If your circuit does the lights, then it's probably 10 - 13a mcb.

There's a lot to check with that.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Inductive loads have high current spikes.
    If the saw is 2200W, it probably exceeds 13A getting up to speed.
    If the saw is daisy chained to the extractor, then both would probably blow the fuse (were talking about the fuse in the plug right?)

If your circuit does the lights, then it's probably 10 - 13a mcb.

There's a lot to check with that.

Yes, fuse at the plug always blows, but sometimes its the table saw sometimes the extractor, so much so i ran out of 13a fuses, need to get more tomorrow,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes, fuse at the plug always blows, but sometimes its the table saw sometimes the extractor, so much so i ran out of 13a fuses, need to get more tomorrow,

You can buy slo blow fuses( marked T or TT), might be more suited for this application.

Still worrying though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

This isn’t suitable for connection with a single 13 amp plug. It sounds like it was deigned for use with 16 amp continental plugs or industrial plugs.

13amps x 230V = 2990 Watts.

If you’re trying to draw 2200 Watts and 1100 Watts, you’re pulling at 3300Watts which exceeds to load for a 13 amp socket. You’re pulling 14.3 to 15 amps on. 220-230V supply.

This device should really be on a 16 amp circuit with a dedicated MCB and a blue industrial 16amp plug and socket setup.

It’s blowing the fuse because it’s exceeding the maximum rating. The socket circuit is likely protected by a 16 or 20 Amp MCB (or a 32Amp MCB if it’s a ring) so it won’t blow as it’s not exceeding the load.

Don’t attempt to bypass the fuse or change the fuse to a slow blow type in a 13amp plug. UK / Irish plugs are physically big devices but they’re very poor at handling over current and can melt or catch fire, particularly if they run warm for a while which can make the contacts distort in the socket.

If you intend to use this, you need to get it setup with a properly rated socket. It’s just not suitable for Irish residential plugs / sockets.

Thanks AutoTuning

I'll get an electrician in so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Worked fine for a week now it keeps blowing fuses.

Am I correct in saying that the original fuses were exactly the same type and rating as the replacement fuses?
    Did you always have the extractor and saw fed from the same lead?

As others have pointed out this combined load exceeds the rating of the fuse supplying it. Therefore it is not surprising that the fuse is blowing.
    Also the feed to my garage has a extension on it (with only the feed to the table saw/extractor) and that blows a fuse sometimes as well.(think the lights are in that circuit as well).

This is far from ideal and possibly unsafe. Extension leads are suitable for occasional use only. You need to get your garage wired properly.
    the main fuse in the house never blows.

This is because the main fuse is rated for a far higher current.

Motors will start blowing fuses when the mechanical load increases beyond a certain threshold. This means that it takes longer for the motor to get up to speed and it reduces the no load speed of the motor. This results in both a higher starting and running current which exerts additional strain of the fuse. Sometimes this increased mechanical load is due to bearing failure, in your case it could be due to an accumulation of dust. If I was looking at this I would unplug the motors and check that both the saw and fan can rotate freely.

2011 wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the original fuses were exactly the same type and rating as the replacement fuses?
    Did you always have the extractor and saw fed from the same lead?

As others have pointed out this combined load exceeds the rating of the fuse supplying it. Therefore it is not surprising that the fuse is blowing.

This is far from ideal and possibly unsafe. Extension leads are suitable for occasional use only. You need to get your garage wired properly.

This is because the main fuse is rated for a far higher current.

Motors will start blowing fuses when the mechanical load increases beyond a certain threshold. This means that it takes longer for the motor to get up to speed and it reduces the no load speed of the motor. This results in both a higher starting and running current which exerts additional strain of the fuse. Sometimes this increased mechanical load is due to bearing failure, in your case it could be due to an accumulation of dust. If I was looking at this I would unplug the motors and check that both the saw and fan can rotate freely.

Yes fuses are the same.

No my tools are pristine. I replaced the Arbor bearings last year and the belt at the same time. The Extractor is new and works really well.

Thanks for this all. I will take the advice and get an electrician in to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Agree with others, the setup should be upgraded by your electrician.

However on the facts provided, the immediate issue would appear to lie within the table saw itself. Neither an issue with the supply to building, a fault in the extractor, nor an excessive combined load could reasonably account for the fuse in the table saw plug top blowing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement