Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you make sense of the world?

Options
  • 28-12-2020 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

We live in a world that is evermore complex. In the past, our worlds were confined to our towns and villages. People worked in jobs where the sum of their output could be easily interpreted; nobody had to ask someone what a butcher or a baker did, it was obvious. Nowadays you can ask someone what they do and they hardly can answer the question.

News media bombards us with information that before would have hardly featured to our grandparents.

How do we make sense of this complexity? Are there archetypes that we can latch onto to allow us simplify the seemingly complex world we live in?

How do we assist ourselves in ensuring that we are ahead of the curve and rather than merely let events happen to us, we have agency and a sense of perspective and context when events transpire.

I'm always amazed at how some people just seem so tuned in and on top of things- They have(or at least they would lead you to believe) that they have the answers for every big and little thing that life throws up. Brexit, Covid, Climate change, markets, home refurbishment, cultural trends, music, etc. these people always seem to have a phrase handy to give their two cents. They're passionate pro-private enterprise, have strong opinions on direct provision, all the while being epidemiologists on the side. Seems bizarre to me.

2021 is the year I want to feel like I have a handle on life and that I'm not just a passenger floating through it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Just don't give it so much time, it's all designed to be divisive and sell various agendas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

By not being an easily manipulated plebian glued to the media. Jesus just turn off the TV. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why would you worry about things that you can't control, like climate change. Life is short, your purpose on this planet is to simply enjoy the exeperience of life. Stop worrying about alll these things.

You will die one day, the Earth will die one day. Accept it and enjoy life.

Who said our purpose on this planet is to simply enjoy the experience of life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

This is what happens when people dont take a travelling gap year to discover who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Try not to think about it too much. We can not know everything no one can. Believe me I have tried but then you just end up with a fizzled spinning head.
    Just do your best in the world. Be good be kind treat others with respect and how you would like to be treated.
    I disagree about not been able to stop climate change however. We can all do our part and contribute in some small way. Don't buy things you do not need do not light a fire unless you really have too do not go for a drive unless you really have too. Loads we can do. Keep your car for at least 5 years but 10 is even better if you can after all it only goes from a to b and back. Aa long as it does that then why change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Lay ground rules for what you believe and what you know to be absolutely false, and don’t let anyone or anything tell you otherwise. Be nice to others but have no mercy for those who would take advantage of that. And seek out good news stories every so often, the media particularly now loves doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

This is what happens when people dont take a travelling gap year to discover who they are.

been there done that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Smoking a bit of the oul foolish helps I find

Why would you worry about things that you can't control, like climate change. Life is short, your purpose on this planet is to simply enjoy the exeperience of life. Stop worrying about alll these things.

You will die one day, the Earth will die one day. Accept it and enjoy life.

I like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

rapul wrote: »
    Smoking a bit of the oul foolish helps I find

The devils lettuce or the devils asshole dust? You weren’t very clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

The devils lettuce or the devils asshole dust? You weren’t very clear

Haha lettuce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It makes no sense. The whole functioning model is to consume more and more and more and we invent new ways of consuming even more all the time. Look at Christmas, a whole celebration of buying things we don't need that go to landfill or end up in the sea. Sooner or later it'll just a dustbowl full of plastic but no one seems to want to do anything about it so I'm trying to stop giving a sh*t.

It makes no sense. The whole functioning model is to consume more and more and more and we invent new ways of consuming even more all the time. Look at Christmas, a whole celebration of buying things we don't need that go to landfill or end up in the sea. Sooner or later it'll just a dustbowl full of plastic but no one seems to want to do anything about it so I'm trying to stop giving a sh*t.

You should. You’ll be dead before there’s an issue, if there’s even going to be an issue (there won’t).

You should. You’ll be dead before there’s an issue, if there’s even going to be an issue (there won’t).

I'll be dead but I still think we should all be making drastic changes now for the future's sake. Do you think the current rate of growth and consumption isn't causing and wont lead to any issues? The Amazon just gonna grow back? Oceans gonna clean themselves up? Wildlife is just going to start thriving worldwide?
    Ireland's waterways are just going to magically get cleaner even though they've been declining in quality year after year?

I'll be dead but I still think we should all be making drastic changes now for the future's sake. Do you think the current rate of growth and consumption isn't causing and wont lead to any issues? The Amazon just gonna grow back? Oceans gonna clean themselves up? Wildlife is just going to start thriving worldwide?
    Ireland's waterways are just going to magically get cleaner even though they've been declining in quality year after year?

Again, we’ll be gone before any of those happen. If they happen at all.

Ok some people wouldn't mind leaving the place in a better state for generations to come, fair enough if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

You're trying to stop giving a shít by shoe-horning environmental angst into every thread you post in?

46 Long wrote: »
    You're trying to stop giving a shít by shoe-horning environmental angst into every thread you post in?

Trying being the key word.

Ok some people wouldn't mind leaving the place in a better state for generations to come, fair enough if you don't.

I don’t, I’ll be dead.

I don’t, I’ll be dead.

And Dublin will still be winning the All Ireland ever year lol

• Advertisement

And Dublin will still be winning the All Ireland ever year lol

With a Rock kicking frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I don’t, much easier that way, trying to make sense of it can only end in despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

We live in a world that is evermore complex. In the past, our worlds were confined to our towns and villages. People worked in jobs where the sum of their output could be easily interpreted; nobody had to ask someone what a butcher or a baker did, it was obvious. Nowadays you can ask someone what they do and they hardly can answer the question.

News media bombards us with information that before would have hardly featured to our grandparents.

How do we make sense of this complexity? Are there archetypes that we can latch onto to allow us simplify the seemingly complex world we live in?

How do we assist ourselves in ensuring that we are ahead of the curve and rather than merely let events happen to us, we have agency and a sense of perspective and context when events transpire.

I'm always amazed at how some people just seem so tuned in and on top of things- They have(or at least they would lead you to believe) that they have the answers for every big and little thing that life throws up. Brexit, Covid, Climate change, markets, home refurbishment, cultural trends, music, etc. these people always seem to have a phrase handy to give their two cents. They're passionate pro-private enterprise, have strong opinions on direct provision, all the while being epidemiologists on the side. Seems bizarre to me.

2021 is the year I want to feel like I have a handle on life and that I'm not just a passenger floating through it.

social media is a curse , made every idiot think their opinion was both worthwhile and worse , the world needed to hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

By not being an easily manipulated plebian glued to the media. Jesus just turn off the TV. Problem solved.

And phone !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It will be worse again when the next Ice Age comes. People in Ireland are living in one of the most prosperous places in the world, in the most prosperous time in history. Whatever is annoying them today, there probably won't be a word about it this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Life is just a big blugh. It's nether good nor bad, it's just a big blugh.

There is no point in trying to make sense of a big blugh.

Life just blughs on day after day until one day it wont. Who cares.

Scratching your head over a big blugh is just a waste of time.

One's aim in life should be to make your life as painless as possible. So don't screw it up and sabotage your own life by for example being really unhealthy or spending your life in prison. Aim to make as few mistakes as possible. Nobody's life is as important as yours. You have only one to look after so do it right unless you enjoy suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

Unless I'm seriously mistaken -these processes of environmental degradation on land and sea have been happening for quite some time. A large number of scientists ,journalists and reporters have been accumulating the evidence and placing it before our eyes in words and pictures...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

How do you make sense of the world?

You don't.

Just roll with it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

The world doesnt make sense.

Advertisement