Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I possibly let air got into return pipe, how to recover?

Options
  • 28-12-2020 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi,

I think I made a mistake a few months ago and trying to understand if the below situation is harmful and how to recover from this.

Connecting a rad back (feed & return valves are closed)
    (Rad was taken off for some skirtboard work)
    What I did:
    * Opening the bleeding vent
    * Connect return pipe to rad (feed pipe is not connected yet)
    * Open the return pipe's valve before connecting the feed pipe
    * No water came out from the return pipe but the system pressure was zero and I topped it back up.

I think it was quite a bit amateur mistake and I was just learning first time.

My now better understanding is I should have connected both pipes first and opened the vent then the feed valve then keep the vent open until the water bleeds then close the vent and then open the return valve.

Can I recover from this mistake I did? Does whole system need to be emptied in case any air stuck in the system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭John.G

I assume the rad is cold. Shut both isol valves, open the vent fully and get somebody to stand by the topping up valve ready to maintain the pressure, then open one side fully and keep venting air then water into a dish/bucket until you have vented 2 or 3 litres, shut off this side and repeat with the other side, shut vent and reopen both valves, should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Seregwethrin

Thank you John.G yeah I see how this can clear the air, I will try this, thank you!

Advertisement