Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding - is this too casual?

• 28-12-2020 1:30pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've hopefully got a wedding to go to in April. Its my brother who's getting married in the UK.
    its a civil service in a local pub/hotel and a buffet / party afterwards.

Would this dress be too casual? or how could I dress this up.
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/gallery-shirt-dress/2546248

if its too casual, any suggestions? I'm 49, 5ft7 and size 14/16

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Which dress is it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Icsics wrote: »
    Which dress is it?

Sorry, pasted wrong link
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/gallery-shirt-dress/2546248

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

That link is just a load of dresses.
    I have been to one wedding in the UK and it was significantly less fancy than all of the weddings I have been to in Ireland. It sounds like a casual kind of wedding though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That link is just a load of dresses.
    I have been to one wedding in the UK and it was significantly less fancy than all of the weddings I have been to in Ireland. It sounds like a casual kind of wedding though.

Its not, I guess you're on mobile and are being redirected.

2546248_blue.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

As with all weddings, it’s the guests who dictate what’s casual or not. It’s not the location of the wedding etc, as you’ll always have the guests who will dress up like Christmas trees and others who’ll go looking like they were dragged through a ditch backwards, so think of what the guests you know will be wearing and that’ll help your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The dress is lovely.

There are also some nice dresses on sale on the Carraig Donn site.

Thankfully I haven't been to a wedding in years (I even found my own a challenge!!) so I'm not an expert on current wedding fashion. Would you consider asking your future sister in law about what people will be wearing? She might have a better idea. My ex-SIL wanted everyone dressed as if they were going to be in the Queen's box in Ascot.....

Lovely dress and I'd say it'd be ideal for a civil service with the afters in a pub/hotel setting. No harm checking with your sister-in-law to be, just to be safe.

Lovely dress, will photograph well & more importantly you’ll get a lot of wear out of it afterwards. For a wedding I’d be inclined to style it with navy pumps & a smart navy jacket

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think the shoe, bag and jacket choice will elevate the look to a solid wedding outfit, even so far as the hair. It's a gorgeous dress.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks everyone, any suggestions on where to look for jacket / shoes / bag.
    can't wear too high heels, any website recommendations for something a bit different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I really like the dress - lovely pop of colour in photos, looks comfy and it’s dressy but not over the top. I’d go for gold jewellery and brown / taupe colours with it but I’m sure others might have other suggestions. I’d check out folkster as their accessories are lovely - they do nice belts, hair accessories, heels and jewellery at good prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I Like that dress - very classic, aka, all-occasions.

Dressy enough for a not-too-fancy wedding, soft enough for a pub or a party.

Add a bit of bling to glam it up - gold, maybe a bracelet and earrings. Even a hat!

I have to say Dunnes have really upped their game in the fashions.....some really lovely styles...I feel a ‘click & collect’ coming on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That's a nice dress but I would change the belt. A nice leather or stretch belt in complimentary colours will elevate the look. I would go with wide belt if they suit you. The dress will keep shape better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Once you wear heels with it, I think it’ll be fab for a formal occasion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

While I like the dress I’m not sure I would wear it to a wedding, even one which was intended to be a bit more casual. I could see myself wearing that dress to work, with a blazer and maybe ankle boots or even on a night out. I’m no Alexis Carrington but I think I would feel a bit underdressed in it for a ceremony. As someone else mentioned, weddings tend to be a lot more casual affairs in the UK than what we do here. I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable wearing. Any idea what some of the other guests intend to wear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clue Girl

I love the dress and the beauty is that you’ll get plenty of wear out of it. I’ve a wardrobe full of wedding guest dresses that I won’t wear again (even if they still fitted me!) Enjoy the wedding

Advertisement