Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Border Collie advice.

Options
  • 28-12-2020 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi, after about six years I have another border collie.
    My previous one was terrific and lived to around fourteen.
    Alas arthritis, deafness, bad eyesight, heart trouble and finally cancer got him in the end.

I am not altogether sure that I did the right thing keeping him around so long, he used to whine for periods the last couple of years, but the vet treating him for heart trouble never really commented and it was at the final week cancer was confirmed.

Is it advisable to neuter my collie? Is there a significant reduction in cancer risk?
    He is very happy, extremely placid and laid back compared to his predecessor, so I dont really want to change anything if there isn't a marked advantage for him.
    Any advice would be welcome.

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hold My Hand

The vets I know all recommend neutering (all their own dogs, male & female are neutered). My brother has a collie who isn’t neutered and he does wander. As well as possible puppies, he is a danger to himself (getting knocked down) and road users. I’d hate anything to happen to him or others and have offered to arrange for the procedure myself but my brother is adamant. Know there are risks with ever operation but it’s definitely easier on the boys. Nothing new there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My dogs are all entire & don't wander because I am a responsible owner. There are pros & cons to neutering. I prefer my dogs entire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I have a collie crossed with a springer and we got him nuetered as soon as he was biologically ready.

He's only turning 1 now so he's still a small bit hyper but on the main he's very placid and very good with other dogs and people. He shows no tendency to roam, I'll often have him off the lead if we're on the beach for example and he'll never wander too far from where we are.

The procedure for males is very simple, very quick in comparison to females - although you should be aware that some dogs may have a reaction to the anaesthetic and not wake up again; the numbers are low but they are there and you should be aware of all risks however low they may be

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Knine wrote: »
    My dogs are all entire & don't wander because I am a responsible owner. There are pros & cons to neutering. I prefer my dogs entire.

My sentiments exactly.

Apart from a couple of brief trips, (with hindsight i shouldn't have shouted at him}, he does not wander and is placid.

' Loves to say hello to people though and getting him back was an embarrassing pain if I wasn't quick with the lead.

It was the cancer problem that I was more concerned about.

His predecessor had a bit of a doggy screw loose, but he was truly astounding, I wouldn't have wanted him to change.

Thanks for the help

SK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Knine wrote: »

Not disagreeing with you but just wondering how you manage when there's bitches on heat nearby? Or do you live in an isolated area?

There's loads of houses with dogs in the surrounding area so we went with the nuetering option so he wouldn't be going beserk when the time came

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Not disagreeing with you but just wondering how you manage when there's bitches on heat nearby? Or do you live in an isolated area?

There's loads of houses with dogs in the surrounding area so we went with the nuetering option so he wouldn't be going beserk when the time came

I manage perfectly well with bitches in heat in my house! No going berserk etc & my dogs are much fitter, better coats & much less likely to have joint injuries than their neutered pals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Op, if you like and trust your vet, have an honest discussion with him or her about the risks and benefits of both neutering, and leaving the dog entire.
    Castration may reduce the risk of some cancers and some health issues, but castration may increase the risk of some cancers and health issues too. What you need to know is the likelihood of risk in each scenario. Your vet should be able to help you, and there's loads of info and some primary research available online for you to get stuck into too, before making a decision.

Many thanks,

I have not taken him to the vet's at all. The place is isolated and he does not "roam" .

I bought him from a neighbour and I assume Pooch is a sheepdog that lacked "professional competence".

I will call in though, although to be honest I think the vet could have been a little more informative with his predecessor.

The vet that gave his final shot didn't say anything bad about his treatment, but left me in no doubt as to what he thought of it.

SK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Your place being isolated and the dog not being inclined to roam is not good enough OP. If the dog is not contained by a physical fence you should get him neutered.

Thanks for the advice,

He did roam a couple of times a few months back, but the ladies are a bit too wiley for him!

He seems to have settled down and is quite amazing really, very placid and intelligent.

I will keep the option in mind, but he is perfect the way he is really, I wouldn't want him to change in any way. He has not wandered since the two isolated incidents and is less inclined to run to other dogs when I take him for walks now.

SK

• Advertisement
Advertisement