Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

You know, that guy, you must know him

• 27-12-2020 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

Watching a Jason Statham film called Safe just there. And it has one of those actors that you recognise but can never remember their name. I had a look on IMDB and the guy was born in 1929. He is still working. He has 2 credits last year and one for 2021 already. Looking back he has credits for every year going back to 1954. Any other character actors with such a long career or who fit into the "you know, that guy, you must know him" category?

james-hong-autograph.jpg

The guys name is James Hong btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭ waynescales1

“Cartwright! Cartwriiiight!”

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ smurf492

Jack Burtons greatest foil...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭ RandomViewer

Watching a Jason Statham film called Safe just there. And it has one of those actors that you recognise but can never remember their name. I had a look on IMDB and the guy was born in 1929. He is still working. He has 2 credits last year and one for 2021 already. Looking back he has credits for every year going back to 1954. Any other character actors with such a long career or who fit into the "you know, that guy, you must know him" category?

james-hong-autograph.jpg

Angela Lansbury, Charles Durning,Petef Boyle, Frank Langella, Brian Blessed, Mick Carters grandad in Eastenders

• Registered Users Posts: 26,455 ✭✭✭✭ CastorTroy

He even voiced a Lo Pan type character in the 2012 TMNT series.

I think Danny Trejo is one of these actors though probably better known.
    For consistent actors I think James Hong is one of the main guys.

William Forsythe as well. He's a guy that I'm sure is a bigger actor but when I look him up I realise he's just been in a lot I've seen. Even now to look up who I was thinking of I searched for the John Doe series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭ NewbridgeIR

James Hong turned up in every 70s cop show - Harry O, Baretta, Streets Of San Franscisco, Cannon, Barnaby Jones. Always played sinister, cruel characters. Some career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ MfMan

James Hong turned up in every 70s cop show - Harry O, Baretta, Streets Of San Franscisco, Cannon, Barnaby Jones. Always played sinister, cruel characters. Some career.

Was an important supporting member of Chinatown too I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx

james-hong-autograph.jpg

was he in Tango and Cash too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭ Wedwood

He was also the sorcerer in cult classic Big Trouble in Little China.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 27,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

One of those actors, like James Earl Jones, who was already so old when I had seen him regularly in film, that I had just presumed had already passed on. Mad how acting is one of the few careers you can continue into your 80s and 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

Wedwood wrote: »
    He was also the sorcerer in cult classic Big Trouble in Little China.

He was. And he looked really old in that. and that was 34 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ mikhail

Any other character actors with such a long career or who fit into the "you know, that guy, you must know him" category?
    babe_-_photofest_-_h_2020_-928x523.jpg
    James Cromwell is the canonical "that guy", though his career only goes back to the mid-70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭ silverharp

Im watching the The Stand 1994 , this actor fits the bill Ray Walston

?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-v9uCIwmvTQw%2FTkNO1UIJF9I%2FAAAAAAAAJ-U%2FxZg2YGwI_S4%2Fs1600%2FThe%252BStand%252B8.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ smurf492

silverharp wrote:

My favourite Martian!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭ RandomViewer

Christopher Plummer been a mainstay of many films for 60 years, Malcom McDowall would be another, Charles Durning would have had a wide body of work as well,
    Maggie Smith is another long running actor,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭ marklazarcovic

Charles dance on the go 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ larva

silverharp wrote: »

?u=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-v9uCIwmvTQw%2FTkNO1UIJF9I%2FAAAAAAAAJ-U%2FxZg2YGwI_S4%2Fs1600%2FThe%252BStand%252B8.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

He played Boothby in Star Trek TNG and for some reason Boothby made a reprisal in Voyager when disguised as one of Species 8472

• Registered Users Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

larva wrote: »
    He played Boothby in Star Trek TNG and for some reason Boothby made a reprisal in Voyager when disguised as one of Species 8472

some of the more interesting Voyager episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ El Rifle

silverharp wrote: »

Thats Joe Biden in his younger days

Advertisement