Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV means no need for Chromecast?

Options
  • 27-12-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

I got one as a gift for Christmas but we have a newish Smart TV .
    Is the Chrome cast a waste? I don't have any tv subscription (like sky etc) but I have Netflix and Disney +
    I can only get RTE 1 on my crap arial. The other Irish channels keep going in and out.

Comments

When you say you have a Smart TV, does it have built-in casting functionality?

If no, then there is of course lots of benefits. Not all apps can be installed on a Smart TV. It can be more cumbersome to control such apps with a remote than with your phone. Your standard remote is of course limited to whatever number of buttons it came with it whereas your phone can have much more functionality depending on the app. Also, everyone in the house can control what's being casted with their phone rather than having to throw the remote around the room. Lots of people also like to cast their local photos from a particular album on their phone (or Google photos) to display on the TV when it's not in use etc.

If yes, then there are also some apps that only cast to a Chromecast rather than any casting device. Have a quick Google of such apps and see if you would ever use them. :)

Also, note that if there is any built in casting functionality it could be casting at either higher or lower quality than a Chromecast would depending on what TV and Chromecast device you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I'm not great with this stuff. I am able to watch Netflix , Disney, spotify, YouTube and some terrestrial television just so on the TV
    The chrome cast seems to be the older version

What is the make and model of the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Samsung 55" 4K Crystal UHD HDR Smart LED TV | UE55TU8500UXXU

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not sure on that model but my previous gen Sammy can only accept some casts. Aka I can cast from Youtube but not screen share. The CC does everything. Not sure if the rest is being done over Mira, never checked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement