Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave me alone

Options
  • 27-12-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

So far today, work have been in touch twice. Once to ask for my urgent assistance in solving a problem that has nothing to do with me and once to tell me it has been sorted.

Three of my family have texted and called. One to ask me to do a favour as they're away, one to ask for babysitting this evening and one to request I do an errand and call over to them.

I did a favour of creating a graphic design project for a friend and they're saying that the file they sent on to the producer is corrupted somehow. But they could access it, so I don't know why it's my problem to reformat it.

I haven't responded to anyone. I'm not leaving the house and I'm not doing any work. Is there any way of dealing with these cunce that doesn't involve a prison sentence. Am I the only one bombarded from all sides at all times by demanding people who i usually (stupidly) accommodate. Why do I never need to annoy people for favours, why am I organised enough to do things for myself like an adult who doesn't need their hand held. Christ.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I haven't responded to anyone.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Phone in aeroplane mode until holidays over, sorted.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Keep that way. Put the phone on silent, or off and do whatever the hell you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

cj maxx wrote: »
    Keep that way. Put the phone on silent, or off and do whatever the hell you want.

Or switch it off, knock back a whiskey and hop into bed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tell them you have gone nomad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So far today, work have been in touch twice. Once to ask for my urgent assistance in solving a problem that has nothing to do with me and once to tell me it has been sorted.

Three of my family have texted and called. One to ask me to do a favour as they're away, one to ask for babysitting this evening and one to request I do an errand and call over to them.

I did a favour of creating a graphic design project for a friend and they're saying that the file they sent on to the producer is corrupted somehow. But they could access it, so I don't know why it's my problem to reformat it.

I haven't responded to anyone. I'm not leaving the house and I'm not doing any work. Is there any way of dealing with these cunce that doesn't involve a prison sentence. Am I the only one bombarded from all sides at all times by demanding people who i usually (stupidly) accommodate. Why do I never need to annoy people for favours, why am I organised enough to do things for myself like an adult who doesn't need their hand held. Christ.

Turn off your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Supercell wrote: »
    Phone in aeroplane mode until holidays over, sorted.
    Probably the best idea.

But my buddies are on to me as well and I actually want to talk to them. I'll have to organise some sort of bat phone to communicate with them.

The old saying.. Work for free and you'll never be short of work.

You need to say NO more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

As others have said, turn your phone off or on silent and deal with those people whenever it suits, nothing wrong with turning off every once in a while.

Everyone needs to get some quiet time every now and again, you need to take care of you.

Where do you live OP, I need a hand clearing out the Garage if you can spare a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tell em you didn’t ask to be born.

Why don’t you just reply to the people you want to and don’t reply to the rest? It’s your phone and your time.

Putting it in airplane mode to hide is madness and you don’t need a separate phone either. Takes two seconds to read a message and decide what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Probably the best idea.

But my buddies are on to me as well and I actually want to talk to them. I'll have to organise some sort of bat phone to communicate with them.

Separate phone for work and pleasure. I've had to change my number numerous times over the years. Even if you don't answer it is still work interrupting your down time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You probably need to start setting boundaries OP.
    Don't let them make a mug of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Is there any way of dealing with these cunce that doesn't involve a prison sentence. Am I the only one bombarded from all sides at all times by demanding people who i usually (stupidly) accommodate.

Why not just say no? Don't answer the phone? I've been asked stuff and called too. I told them sorry, on holidays, not doing a tap. And didn't answer work because I'm not on call, it's not my problem.

No problems, no rants, no ruined Christmas. Enjoying being lazy.

You strike me as one of these people who don't say anything and just accommodate people saying "sure no problem, any time" despite hating it and then you eventually go crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Tell them you’re self isolating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Go for a nice long spin to clear the head, lovely day for a drive. And you could pick up my dry cleaning on the way if you don't mind. It's just twenty suits and an old fashioned curtain pelmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its amazing, when left to their own devices for long enough, how the needy and incapable seem to find a way.

Phone in aeroplane mode and turn off notifications for data based messages is the way to go. And don't forget, tomorrow is a public holiday, leave it off until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Dual sim phone.
    One number for work, one for personal use.
    Knock off the work sim when on hols.

Whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Doesn't this happen to other people?!

I'm carrying all your dead weight dammit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Easy solution for the babysitting and anything that may require driving - you're plonked on the couch watching the football/a film/whatever, and you've had a few drinks because that's what people do over Christmas. The rest, just ignore them until you want to reply.

Who the fcuk needs a baby sitter ?
    I'd be ringing the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

Doesn't this happen to other people?!

I'm carrying all your dead weight dammit!!

I used to get caught in this kind of thing. Changed jobs a few years back, if someone from work calls me out of hours I claim the first hour of overtime regardless of how long the call was.

As for the folks calling me for tech support over the phone, I'd ask them to do my accounts/fix electrics/plumbing or whatever their source of income is for free too. That stopped pretty quickly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Or switch it off, knock back a whiskey and hop into bed

Ha ha, just making a brandy and baileys myself, and going to do the same. Indolence is bliss lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

No good deed goes unpunished

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Airplane mode might not be the greatest feature of a smartphone but it's definitely in the top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Airplane mode might not be the greatest feature of a smartphone but it's definitely in the top 5.

Thread got me thinking

Is there a feature or app that blocks incoming calls and SMS but allows data or WiFi to continue so you can surf the web only

That would be useful

wally1990 wrote: »
    Thread got me thinking

Is there a feature or app that blocks incoming calls and SMS but allows data or WiFi to continue so you can surf the web only

That would be useful

Turn on airplane mode then turn back on wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Get it into your head that your phone is for your convenience, not anyone else's, just ignore it until you want to respond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Turn on airplane mode then turn back on wifi.

Ahhhhh good idea

Advertisement